• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Ford Bronco wont start

sbowenjr

Hi guys. Thanks in advance for the help.
I have a survivor 1975 ford bronco. Last week I started it. It ran for about five minutes then died. I recranked it and it would try n fire then die. Now it just cranks but no signs of spark at all.
I do not believe I am getting any fire to the plugs.
It does have the green ignition module witch I believe is a duraspark 1???
I replaced that and checked the wires and cap visually. I ohmed out the coil.
Primary winding is 1.7 OHMs secondary is 75K. My points look ok to me but I am no expert.
Does anyone have any ideas. I do know how to use a meter but I am not a mechanic.
It is getting fuel B T W.I turned on the switch. With. The switch on but not turning it to crank position should I have any power to the positive side of the coil? Or does it just get power when cranking? I do not see a condenser on mine just a small coil under the cap at the top of the distributor. Any help would be appreciated. I hate just swapping out parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sbowenjr

Huh talk about a needle in a haystack. The cord gromet that goes through the distributor housing had a broken ground wire. I cut it put and grounded it to the vacuum booster on the distributor. Bronco runs great now.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Wow you did get lucky. Enjoy - you are one step closer to a mechanic.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
dang why can't I get that lucky to find something that quick

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Huh talk about a needle in a haystack. The cord gromet that goes through the distributor housing had a broken ground wire. I cut it put and grounded it to the vacuum booster on the distributor. Bronco runs great now.

Always something w/these things.. One thing at a time man

OP
OP
S

sbowenjr

We got lucky. My son helped me by cranking it. I must have bumped the wire so I was making ground. It started and ran great. Then it just died again so I started wigglein. Wires while he cranked it until it fired. Once it ran i started pushing on the wires one at at time. It would die. If we had not gotten it running i don't think we would have found it. The bottom line is the coil in the distributor has to have a ground. LOLa.Now to pull the sending unit and figure out why I run out of gas all the time.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
LOL you should have the gauge figured out in no time, since you have a meter and know how to use it;) just fixed mine, wires were burnt and melted together next to the muffler