• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Wind Blue Survivor

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
So I picked up this 1975 back in October of 2021. It was listed on the forum for sale and luckily that was the only place or else it would have been snatched up quick. The day I saw the ad I knew I I had seen the bronco before. It was in Cherokee, NC under a hotel awning for a couple of years. I remember passing it not too long ago on one of my long cruises around the NC mountains. I spoke with the owner and made the decision to take my one day off and drive the 4hrs to take a closer look. We came to an agreement so my Dad and I picked the bronco up a couple days later. The bronco has sat in my driveway for the past few months but we had a few good days of weather so I decided I'd tinker on it a little to see if I could get it running and moved into the garage (which also meant getting my econoline running and out of the garage). haha... I need a bigger garage.

I was able to throw a battery and the rebuilt carb on it, drain the fuel and refill it as well as change a couple rubber lines and she cranked right up. Now to figure out what exactly I want to do with it.

This '75 was shipped to LA, bought by a company at the Vegas airport as a parts runner. It was then sold a few years later to a police officer who used it for his sign painting business on the side. After a while it went into storage and then to a second home in Montana where it was found by a member on here and then sold to the guy in Cherokee where I purchased it. Unfortunately all the paper work was trashed at some point along the way but was said to have lots of the history with it before coming to NC. It also had some cool tie down points mounted on it that were also missing when I got it.

A couple of pics show it before it made its way to NC with the tie downs still attached.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3100.JPG
    IMG_3100.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC00653.jpg
    DSC00653.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC00663.jpg
    DSC00663.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00658.jpg
    DSC00658.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC00651.jpg
    DSC00651.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 202

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks to be pretty solid and just surface rust? Any story on the driver's front corner damage? Might be a candidate for a patina build or a full restoration. Interior pics?

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Here are some more pics...

Attachments

• DSC00664.jpg
    DSC00664.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00665.jpg
    DSC00665.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00666.jpg
    DSC00666.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00667.jpg
    DSC00667.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00669.jpg
    DSC00669.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00671.jpg
    DSC00671.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00672.jpg
    DSC00672.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00673.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00675.jpg
    DSC00675.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Looks to be pretty solid and just surface rust? Any story on the driver's front corner damage? Might be a candidate for a patina build or a full restoration. Interior pics?
Its not bad! Couple small holes in the front floors and a little hole on the backside of the drivers a pillar behind the fender area where stuff is always splashing. I never heard any stories about the fender damage but they did a pretty good old school job of straightening everything.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
More pics

Attachments

• DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00678.jpg
    DSC00678.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00680.jpg
    DSC00680.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC00684.jpg
    DSC00684.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00685.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00686.jpg
    DSC00686.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
A couple more for now...

Attachments

• DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC00688.jpg
    DSC00688.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
When I bought the bronco it came with a ton of new parts in boxes and I finally opened them up and made a list of what all was there. Here is the list as far as I can tell.

Plugs, Wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor Button, Coil, Belts, Water pump, upper/lower radiator hoses, power steering pump, power steering hose, thermostat, aluminum radiator, rebuilt original motorcraft carb, metal gas tank/sending unit, fuel pump, motor mounts, alternator, rear brake drums, rear brake shoes, rear wheel cylinders, rear brake hardware kit, TBP 2.5 inch lift kit, adjustable track arm, WH body lift kit, used C4 and transfer case, soft brake lines, used wiper motor and linkage, explorer front dress setup, and a Leed Brakes power front disc conversion.

It's quite a bit of stuff. A lot of it would have been stuff I would buy so I'm pretty pumped I dont have to start shopping yet other than a few little things. I already started on it a little yesterday evening with plugs, wires, coil, dizzy cap and rotor as well as the belts. I noticed the factory PS pump was leaking a little so I may have to put the new or rebuilt one that came with the bronco on.

Also, has anyone else done the Leed brakes conversion? I haven't opened all the boxes but just doesn't seem complete, at least not as thorough as the toms kit I did on the '69.

broncojack

Contributor
So I picked up this 1975 back in October of 2021. It was listed on the forum for sale and luckily that was the only place or else it would have been snatched up quick. The day I saw the ad I knew I I had seen the bronco before. It was in Cherokee, NC under a hotel awning for a couple of years. I remember passing it not too long ago on one of my long cruises around the NC mountains. I spoke with the owner and made the decision to take my one day off and drive the 4hrs to take a closer look. We came to an agreement so my Dad and I picked the bronco up a couple days later. The bronco has sat in my driveway for the past few months but we had a few good days of weather so I decided I'd tinker on it a little to see if I could get it running and moved into the garage (which also meant getting my econoline running and out of the garage). haha... I need a bigger garage.

I was able to throw a battery and the rebuilt carb on it, drain the fuel and refill it as well as change a couple rubber lines and she cranked right up. Now to figure out what exactly I want to do with it.

This '75 was shipped to LA, bought by a company at the Vegas airport as a parts runner. It was then sold a few years later to a police officer who used it for his sign painting business on the side. After a while it went into storage and then to a second home in Montana where it was found by a member on here and then sold to the guy in Cherokee where I purchased it. Unfortunately all the paper work was trashed at some point along the way but was said to have lots of the history with it before coming to NC. It also had some cool tie down points mounted on it that were also missing when I got it.

A couple of pics show it before it made its way to NC with the tie downs still attached.
I think I would go the route of the blue patina Bronco that sold on BAT a couple of weeks ago. The whole chassis was restored and the underside of the body was lizard coated blue.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I think I would go the route of the blue patina Bronco that sold on BAT a couple of weeks ago. The whole chassis was restored and the underside of the body was lizard coated blue.
That's the route I would like to go with both of my broncos! Unfortunately, I don't have the space to dive that deep into one. I was thinking maybe I would make it a nice driver like the 69 for now and when I get my new shop in a couple of years I will blow one of them apart and do one at a time. I know it would be a shame but I think a cut fender with white flares front and rear would look really good on the original blue paint.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I got the Leed disc brake kit installed. I would not suggest it over the toms or other bronco parts houses kits. It came with the bronco so I was determined to use it. It required removing the factory hubs from the drums. There were spacers provided to fit the hub and make it flush to fit against the provided rotor. The spacers didnt fit so each one have to be sanded down. The factory hubs were tight fit in the rotors and needed a little filing to get them to sit nice and flush too. Once I got it all instaled withl with new bearings and races the factory wheels smashed the calipers. I had to get 1/4 inch spacers as well as grind the calipers down some. I posted some pics that show the difference in the way the caliper from toms was designed too. This kit was much harder to install than the Toms Offroad kit I used on the 1969 and not much cheaper. Plus it doesnt have backing plates.

Attachments

• Pre_Brakes.jpg
    Pre_Brakes.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Leed_Brake_Kit.jpg
    Leed_Brake_Kit.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Removing_Factory_Hubs.jpg
    Removing_Factory_Hubs.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Spacers_Dont_Fit.jpg
    Spacers_Dont_Fit.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Leed_Caliper_Rubbing.jpg
    Leed_Caliper_Rubbing.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Leed_Caliper_Grinding.jpg
    Leed_Caliper_Grinding.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Leed_Caliper_Spacing.jpg
    Leed_Caliper_Spacing.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Toms_Offroad_Caliper_Spacing.jpg
    Toms_Offroad_Caliper_Spacing.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: POG
OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Since the bronco is drivable now I decided it was time to clean the paint up. I wanted to clean the inside up to install the mats so I figured I may as well clean up the outside too.

I took a bunch of pic to compare to when its all done.

I am using products all available at lowes or home depot, sometimes even just the local grocery store. I finished getting everything but the top CLRed tonight but it was too dark to get a photo but I did take a couple at the beginning so you can see the difference.

Attachments

• Pre_Paint_Cleanup_001.jpg
    Pre_Paint_Cleanup_001.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Pre_Paint_Cleanup_002.jpg
    Pre_Paint_Cleanup_002.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Pre_Paint_Cleanup_003.jpg
    Pre_Paint_Cleanup_003.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 112
  • Pre_Paint_Cleanup_004.jpg
    Pre_Paint_Cleanup_004.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Pre_Paint_Cleanup_005.jpg
    Pre_Paint_Cleanup_005.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Pre_Paint_Cleanup_006.jpg
    Pre_Paint_Cleanup_006.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Grill_Cleaned.jpg
    Grill_Cleaned.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Grill_Pre_Cleaned.jpg
    Grill_Pre_Cleaned.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Hood_Cleaned.jpg
    Hood_Cleaned.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Paint_Cleanup_Supplies.jpg
    Paint_Cleanup_Supplies.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Hey Tim, Thanks! The entire thing is cleaning up nicely. I actually used "Lime-Away" on the hood and the grille. I used a heavy duty scotch brite this time but depending on the paint you could vary between light and heavy... I typically use CLR instead of Lime-Away.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
This project will be fun to watch. If you decide to repair the front fender, there is a guy on youtube that did a good matching fauxtina on a repair area on his bronco. if you are interested, PM me and I'll send it.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
This project will be fun to watch. If you decide to repair the front fender, there is a guy on youtube that did a good matching fauxtina on a repair area on his bronco. if you are interested, PM me and I'll send it.
I'm not sure I'll ever mess with it but ya never know. I have a buddy that paints and is pretty good at the fauxtina stuff. He does a lot of blending on original paint stuff and is pretty good at it so I'll probably let him do it. Id still love to chek out the video you're talking about tho!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
CLR or Lime Away. I never would have guessed. Really cleaned up nice. great job, can't wait to see more.

Broncoblood

Contributor
that is the old Las Vegas airport Bronco.
nice job! I like seeing the original stay original, good choice.
one suggestion, I think the front hubs would look better satin or flat black : )

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
that is the old Las Vegas airport Bronco.
nice job! I like seeing the original stay original, good choice.
one suggestion, I think the front hubs would look better satin or flat black : )
Indeed it is! Glad you rescued this one!

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I got the inside of the bronco all cleaned out with CLR yesterday. It didnt remove the heavy stuff obviously but a lot of stains came up. Also got the entire exterior wet sanded with 1000 grit. I typically will wet sand older paint with 1500 to avoid cutting through as little as possible but the store was out. I will have to go back over it with a pass of 2000 grit today before I buff it... It is starting to feel nice and smooth now.
IMG_4664.JPG

I also managed to cut holes in the Dennis Carpenter mat my buddy Mike let me have after winning it at Super Cel East last year. I still have to do the rear mat holes (I had to buy that one, haha) but glad to have the front figured out. It would have been great to have a heat gun just to get fitment perfect and snug before figuring out hole placement excatly but everything is pretty close.
Mat_Holes.jpg

Broncoblood

Contributor
a preserved Dinosaur!
it was the airport parts Bronco then later a Las Vegas police officer that I believe was retired and had a sign painting business hence why some of the paint drippings in there.
here's the Marti in case you don't have it. 1975 Wind Blue.jpg