• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 Bronco won’t go into 2 wheel drive!! HELP

jckkys

Bronco Guru
With 3 EBs over 45 yrs. I've learned new drivers need to practice the use of 4 wheel drive. Get on a dirt or gravel road or parking lot and go through the process of locking the hubs and putting it in 4 HI and 4 low. Then back to 2 HI and unlock the hubs. Do this 10 or more times while driving and you'll soon get a feel for it. Stay off pavement till you know you're in 2HI with the hubs unlocked. In time you'll be able to navigate snow/ice patches in otherwise dry pavement while continuously moving. The hubs stay locked while you go from 2HI to 4HI and back to 2HI seamlessly. While driving my 3 EBs I also owned 2 flat fender Jeeps a GPW and an M38. Both had the antiquated twin stick transfer cases. Either the T-handle or J pattern D20s in EBs are an improvement. The T-handle is my favorite but the J pattern is nearly as good.

crankman

Gravel road is your friend, everyone had good advise. Practice the J shifter requires a bit of finesse but there fine.