• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco Restoration help

scm68

Loc.
Albany
I have a 1977 Bronco that i purchased last summer. It rolled over in the early 80's and a fiberglass body was put on at that time. The work was never completed and the truck sat in a barn for 20 years. I had it at a local shop to complete the build but it sat 6 months and virtually nothing was done.
Any members have suggestions of someone in upstate NY area that may do this type of work? At this point it is basically a fiberglass shell mounted to frame with suspension and steering hooked up. Other than that, it is a blank slate.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, however this is common.........

You may consider doing it yourself. A modest garage, some basic hand tools, and lots of patients & effort and you do about anything to these old classic's.

Rebuilding an old Bronco can be a very rewarding experience. And with help from folks on this website there isn't a single aspect of the project you couldn't get help/advice on.

It has been my experience on major build projects that at least 3 things always hold true. Time, money, and change.

They always take more time than expected, no such thing as a budget because they always cost more than anticipated, and your vision of cool will change along the way -commonly several times.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Build it yourself. You will learn so much, know your truck inside and out and smile every time you drive it. And be able to fix anything that goes wrong with it.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Yes this is extremely common. I've lost about 6 years of productive time trying to sub out the work. I just ended up going back and fixing most of it anyway.

OP
OP
S

scm68

Loc.
Albany
I'm very tempted to try but not sure if I have the mechanical ability. The plan was to have it put together as a first car for my son. We were going to do the interior work and paint prep and have someone else do the mechanicals.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm very tempted to try but not sure if I have the mechanical ability. The plan was to have it put together as a first car for my son. We were going to do the interior work and paint prep and have someone else do the mechanicals.

You can do it, Just ask any questions you have on here.

Have faith. :)

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Does it have power steering??? Power front disc brakes???

Not trying to be a party pooper, but without these as a minimum, it may not be the best choice for a 'first car'.......no air bags either. Maybe save it for when he gets older??

This is just my OPINION.

Pops

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Another vote to go at it yourselves as this site is better then any manuals out there to me anyway!

Post plenty of pictures ask question and ask more question.

Lotto peeps on here from the New England area and you never know who could show up to help out. Might have to buy'm a cool pop.;)

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Let me know if you need anything. Mine is a mostly stock 76 so it should be very similar to yours

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Is cost a factor? If so, start learning by helping other Bronco Brothers. Before anything, you need to get that motor running, and do a full drivetrain assessment. Cheers!

OP
OP
S

scm68

Loc.
Albany
I'm convinced to give it a try. i'll post some pictures of its current state. I have most parts in boxes. Would it be wise to buy a complete parts car of the same year and just try swap. I found a rusted but complete parts truck for $800. Might make sense to pick that up so i can see what mine is supposed to look like

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Yay!!!! Good call brother!!! It will mean so much more to you when you're done. Don't ever feel timid to post a pic or question on here.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam

Is your son in diapers? You might be done by the time he is driving. Sort of just kidding. This restoration stuff takes some time out of your daily schedule. When I first answered I was thinking you were just building a Bronco and I still say build it yourself. But it will take some time to complete.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I'm convinced to give it a try. i'll post some pictures of its current state. I have most parts in boxes. Would it be wise to buy a complete parts car of the same year and just try swap. I found a rusted but complete parts truck for $800. Might make sense to pick that up so i can see what mine is supposed to look like

Great and yes pick up that parts truck! At that price you can't go wrong!

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Is your son in diapers? You might be done by the time he is driving. Sort of just kidding. This restoration stuff takes some time out of your daily schedule. When I first answered I was thinking you were just building a Bronco and I still say build it yourself. But it will take some time to complete.

When I started I has one in diapers and 1 in preschool. Now I have 1 in high school, one in middle and one in preschool. But I am very close to being done...