• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco Restoration help

OP
OP
S

scm68

Loc.
Albany
Maybe I'd be better off putting this for sale and getting one that's up and running. It's a great truck and I love the possibility of it but am afraid of getting into it then realizing I'm over my head anyone looking for a nice project truck?

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
"Yay" withdrawn :(

I totally understand your fears of getting in over your head. I've known a couple of guys who have bought various classics and who knew nothing about working on cars and it hasn't ended well. The last 2 I knew/know of: one sold the car at a loss and the other is collecting dust. Both actually started as running cars which is even scarier.

Part of the fun of owning an old car IMO is keeping it running and fixing it up. Both daunting challenges if you can't turn a wrench well. Old cars often take work to just keep them running. Parts are old and they break and unless you're prepared to spend tons of money and time having someone else fix the vehicle, well. . .

I'm not trying to be a d***, always hard to determine tone online. But My own two cents is that you might want to rethink the entire classic as a first car for your son. Get him something w/ air bags, collapsible steering columns, and crumple zones and ABS. It'll be way cheaper, safer and more reliable in the long run and then you won't be shuttling junior to football, b-ball, band, etc practice b/c his almost 50 year old vehicle is yet again in the shop.

I've been there w/ my own son driving his 89 F150 as his first vehicle. And spent many an evening picking him up somewhere and/or fixing something so he'd have a ride to work or school the next day. He ended up not being a car guy (although he's starting to pick it up since he joined the Army and is on his own now)

I wish you the best of luck in any decision you make. If you're sold on a Bronco, maybe look into getting him a 5th gen ride...92-96, a/c, ps, pb, ABS, crumple zones, OBD II, air bags, shoulder belts, etc.

OP
OP
S

scm68

Loc.
Albany
Again I appreciate all the input. I've always owned old British cars and am pretty comfortable with the basics. If it were running and driving I could keep up with the maintenance. Just such a big endeavor. My daughters first car was an old land cruiser and it really encouraged her interest in cars. My son was so excited about this when we first brought it home. When I had it in the shop and found who I thought would be a good mechanic to do the work, it seemed like a perfect vehicle for him. Now I keep going back and forth

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Again I appreciate all the input. I've always owned old British cars and am pretty comfortable with the basics.

Oh S***, old British cars??? Then you'd certainly be fine keeping an EB going ;D I probably couldn't change the oil on one of those HA HA HA :cool:

I'm back on board w/ you and the classic, "Yay" re-instated ;D

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Again I appreciate all the input. I've always owned old British cars and am pretty comfortable with the basics. If it were running and driving I could keep up with the maintenance. Just such a big endeavor. My daughters first car was an old land cruiser and it really encouraged her interest in cars. My son was so excited about this when we first brought it home. When I had it in the shop and found who I thought would be a good mechanic to do the work, it seemed like a perfect vehicle for him. Now I keep going back and forth

Sell it. Find something road ready. It takes a lot of commitment, time and money to rebuild any classic vehicle. Tools, know how. Patience. List goes on. You gotta want it bad or it's going to sit or get sold later. If you don't want it bad, sell it. Believe me, I have seen the highs and lows during a restoration. When I found all the rust...whoa...almost threw in the towel. You gotta want it. Just my .02.