• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1978 Tilt Column Indicator and Linkage Adjustment

rjp1965

I have done an AOD swap in my 1967 Bronco. I've also installed a 1978/79 automatic tilt column. I'm using a cable instead of hard linkage.

It shifts into each gear just fine, the kickdown for the OD is working fine as well. The issue I have is that the distance in between detents is quite short and the indicator needle doesn't align correctly with the letters.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the linkage / indicator position or point me to resources? I would like to somehow get more travel between detents and of course get the indicator needle showing the correct position.

Thanks in advance.

quic

Contributor
I am doing the same column swap, how hard is that install? I'm using a c-4, any tips?, thanks

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

I am doing the same column swap, how hard is that install? I'm using a c-4, any tips?, thanks

The install is pretty simple and straight forward. I don't have a link handy, but there is a technical write up either on this forum or another. Maybe someone can point you to it. It really just involved changing a bracket if memory serves.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

The install is pretty simple and straight forward. I don't have a link handy, but there is a technical write up either on this forum or another. Maybe someone can point you to it. It really just involved changing a bracket if memory serves.

I should also say that I opted to rig a cable rather than using linkage.

igottastanger

What cable are you using with your column to shift id like to use a cable but havent found one that works.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Sorry for the long delay in responding. We actually fabricated the brackets and then bought a universal cable based on length.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which brackets did you fabricate? If any of the actual shift levers, did you change the ratio at all? If so, that might be more of an issue than just the change of the style of column.

Which way is it misaligned? And where is it aligned?
If it's lined up in Park, where is it when you shift into drive? The needle stops before D, or after?

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I've put in 3 of those steering columns.
... BUT I PUT THEM on my NP435 Not an Automatic. As far a mounting them. All I remember doing was to drill out a couple of spot welds . Center up the column to fit my Fat Belly. & I had trouble with the U joint on the steering . I think it cost me like 65 bucks. That seems a little pricey to me.
.. My dislike for this column is that .. When I pull myself up into my Bronco holding onto the steering wheel. I BREAK the rack for the tilt. Yes 3 times. I think it's made out of Pewter.

bronccar

Anyone know where to source a smooth shift collar for a 78 E150 column? (floor shifter here)

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Which brackets did you fabricate? If any of the actual shift levers, did you change the ratio at all? If so, that might be more of an issue than just the change of the style of column.

Which way is it misaligned? And where is it aligned?
If it's lined up in Park, where is it when you shift into drive? The needle stops before D, or after?

Paul

I apologize for not seeing your question before. It's lined up on the P when it's in Park, but then it falls short to the left of lining up with the appropriate letters as you shift to them. When you're in 1st the needle is lined up between 2nd and Drive.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I apologize for not seeing your question before. It's lined up on the P when it's in Park, but then it falls short to the left of lining up with the appropriate letters as you shift to them. When you're in 1st the needle is lined up between 2nd and Drive.

The lever at the trans needs to be longer. For a stock column you need about 3 1/4" from the shift rod stud and the pivot.