• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1986 Crown Victoria Donor

Dr. Bronc

Hey guys,

I was just given a 1986 Ford Crown Victoria for free!

So,
I've been wondering if this will be a good donor motor for my Bronco?

I understand that it is EFI, 5.0motor.

Anything else worthwhile?

I'm going to pull the motor and trans, then scrap the rest.

Any advice on the car, motor, or swap? ?:?

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
If its like the EFI 5.0 in my 86 Bronco, it is really gutless. 1st year for EFI in the Bronco, very weak (of course the Bronco is pretty heavy for a 5.0).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'86 will likely be throttle body EFI. Completely untunable. Whopping 140 HP on a good day. It it has a round air cleaner like a carb engine, this is what you have.

I don't thing the SEFI crown vics came out until a year or two later. These look like a mustang engine with the intake on backwards. Much better source of parts.

Trans will be an AOD, 23 years old and before the rear lube update (hence the split in years on the kits). It likely still works but when you take it apart the planetaries will be self destructed too bad to reuse. Last I check they were worth about $50 although some people think they are gold and want reman prices for wore out junk.

77TnBronco

Loc.
Kodak Tennessee
I used a 86 Merc motor.
A two barrel will bolt in place of the TBI. Block off the thermactor holes in the back of the heads,5/8 bolts work. Water pump dumps to the wrong side, I used a pipe for a lower hose. Used a older 4 blade fan and shorter spacer. Electric fuel pump, front cover had no hole for mech pump.

Thats all I can remember doing to get it to run down the road. At the time I was on a tight budget and now I'll start changing things around.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is the stock 5.0 car engine. Didn't know they made it that old. Expect 14LB injectors, flat tappet cam and a standard 302 firing order