• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1990 F250 351W and ZF

75Bronc

Hey guys, I have the ZF adapters and Cross Member. I've been looking for a transmission and found a full F250 with a 351w and ZF, it is 4x4. I would like to take the whole engine and transmission and put it in my bronco. I currently have a 302/c4. My question is, will the serpentine system work? Am I going to run into power steering or alternator problems? What else can I use off this truck?

Thank you!

Bickster

Probably be too long. Every bronco is a bit unique. I did the same swap out of an 1988 and it was not really even close. I pulled the old stuff off of my 302 and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nothing Special

I forced the serp system off an '88 F-150 to work on my Bronco, but it didn't work well. There was no room for a fan between the water pump and the radiator so I put 2 small electric fans in the corners of the radiator. That left room for the water pump. but cooling with a manual trans was very marginal like that (completely unacceptable with an automatic and a trans cooler in the radiator).

Also I had to get way too creative with the radiator hoses (complicated by the F-100 power steering conversion not giving room for a neck on the lower driver's side of the radiator).

Eventually I upgraded back to the stock V-belt system.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm basing my assumption off the fact I mad the front dress off a 96 E350 5.8L work.....

Yes I think you can make it work. You will need to run an A/C and smog pump delete pulleys or you will get belt squeal at startup. Flip the top radiator mount brackets to the outside of the core support (this gives you about an inch to inch and a half more room) and run a thin electric fan.

I'm running the fan WH sells. Works great on my rig even in the hot AR summer with a cracked head it never overheated. Cracked head now fixed......

You will need a fan controller (read the instructions to see why) I'm controlling my fan with my EFI ECM as it has built in fan control.

Tim

Attachments

• 20170502_133346.jpg
    20170502_133346.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 58
  • 20160820_094341.jpg
    20160820_094341.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160820_094441.jpg
    20160820_094441.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

Update on this thread. I did put in the front dress from the F250. Everything fit nicely with the exception of the fan. The front dress is a little long. I moved the radiator support forward a little and used a an explorer front radiator to address the reverse flow of the water pump. If you have a very stock bronco, I would recommend explorer serp. But if you have a modified bronco and don't mind cutting and welding just a little bit, the F series and E series is a cheap and very reliable system.

I also got the Saginaw pump and bracket from a similar year E-series van. It bolted right up. I believe the front dress to be the same on the F-series and E-series. Atleast the power steering bracket and pump lines up the same. Toms bronco parts got me an adapter for the high pressure line of the Saginaw to the stock high pressure line of the bronco. Now I can run stock lines from the Saginaw steering pump to my stock steering gear box.

I also added a 130 amp 3G alternator from a 1994 mustang v6. It fit perfectly in the front dress of the f-series.

These are all answers to questions I had. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.