• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1993 Ford Mustang motor swap, front dress question?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Hi, I know the Explorer front dress is preferred. I have an 1993 Ford Mustang complete take out in really nice condition. Will it fit In a stock Bronco or do I need to go ahead make the swap now to the Explorer stuff?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
87-93 Mustang uses a smog pump, air conditioning, and junk power steering pump. It also puts the fan very near the radiator. It also puts the water pump inlet on the wrong side of the radiator.

I used to recommend doing the A/C delete, remove smog pump, and install the 1G alternator to retain the Mustang serpentine. But I don't like the distance between the fan and radiator.

If you already have a Saginaw power steering pump, and a good alternator, I just recommend running V-belts.

Otherwise, go straight to Explorer front dress.

The mustang stuff is just a waste of effort to me.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I agree with James...

Mustang PS pump not the best, 2G alt is a fire waiting to happen. Fan is very close to the Rad, even if you replace the factory one with a spacer and flex fan. You need to space it away from the accesories and that puts it within 1/2-3/4" away from the Rad. I still ran a Radiator protector from BCB just for piece of mind.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Concur X3. I made the Mustang stuff work really well but it involved a 3G alternator swap, Saginaw pump swap and a flex fan/spacer.

By the time you do that these days, it's easier, and smarter, to swap in the Explorer stuff, particularly since it's so cheap these days.

It would be really easy to do with the engine out and on a stand too.

Todd Z.