• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2-1 Exhaust not quite gonna fit

vtboy51

I'm trying to install the Duff's 2-1 exhaust kit (stock manifolds), and there just isn't enough room. They did warn me this kit has never been tested on a stock (no lift) bronco. Lucky me, I just proved it won't clear the front driveshaft.
If I shorten the pipe that connects to the drivers side manifold it might help, but I'd need to cut the flared end.... Even if I did this, it would only give me a 1/2"-1" of clearance if it worked. Am I still risking my driveshaft hitting the exhaust if compress the suspension? How much clearance should I have from the driveshaft?
My next thought is to bolt it all together and take it to a muffler shop so they can bend me a new piece from the manifold to the Y. Any tips or feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-0096.jpg
    IMG-0096.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG-0097.jpg
    IMG-0097.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG-0098.jpg
    IMG-0098.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG-0099.jpg
    IMG-0099.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-0100.jpg
    IMG-0100.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 151

SHX669

Bronco Guru
They must have redesigned their system . My driver side exhaust is on the outboard side of the driveline and crosses over to meet the passenger side after it passes the Transfere case.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I installed the same setup. Np435 trans. And stock exhaust manifolds. I had to cut out about 2” and re-angle it up near the donut. Went to O’Reilly and picked up some tube. Forced the connector forward on the passenger side. Might be easier for me to explain over the phone. Message me if you want to talk.
Karl

Attachments

• 087F88C8-F124-4E0D-89BC-273B64AFBA72.jpg
    087F88C8-F124-4E0D-89BC-273B64AFBA72.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 89
  • CF506437-60AE-4059-A48E-22EB5420EE27.jpg
    CF506437-60AE-4059-A48E-22EB5420EE27.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 28FC261B-11C4-4A22-AD10-D8A905632FAD.jpg
    28FC261B-11C4-4A22-AD10-D8A905632FAD.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 94
  • C788A957-C3E2-4014-91F0-ED6358264F21.jpg
    C788A957-C3E2-4014-91F0-ED6358264F21.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 104

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
bend a new piece is easiest. if you are on a budget i would cut it at the bottom of the bend where it turns back just under the friver side and rotate the downpipe fromthe manifold so that bend now turns 45* to go between the trans and the oil pan.

then I would move the piece that is left over with the bends to go to the passenger side up to meet that. of course you would need to cut off the bend so it would be straight. this would make it so your pipe now goes down from the manifold under the engine and trans between the oil pan and the bell housing and then turn towards the back on the passenger side.

you would then need a short piece of pipe to now connect it to the original location on the passenger side

hope this helps

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Not to be Dr. Doom, but there comes a point where a guy just sends it back and has a muffler shop just build the whole thing while you watch.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
They must have redesigned their system . My driver side exhaust is on the outboard side of the driveline and crosses over to meet the passenger side after it passes the Transfere case.

I think you have some other vendors exhaust system. James Duff only makes the 2-1 like in the pictures posted above.

The dual exhaust system JD makes doesn't route like the way you described either.

I installed the same setup. Np435 trans. And stock exhaust manifolds. I had to cut out about 2” and re-angle it up near the donut. Went to O’Reilly and picked up some tube. Forced the connector forward on the passenger side. Might be easier for me to explain over the phone. Message me if you want to talk.
Karl

Keep in mind everyone reading this that Karl was one of our front runners that helped test our system before it went into production. His feed back gave us vital info to make changes to the 2-1 exhaust system to make it fit a broader range of drivetrains in the EB.

As Roland previously stated, we were skeptical it would fit a stock height EB due to where the D.S. head pipe crosses over. He knew he was taking that risk when buying it. We tested several different EB's with several different lifts and drivetrains but none had crossed our path that had a stock height lift while doing our testing. Honestly I'm really not sure we could accommodate a stock height bronco with this exhaust system since there is very little room to crossover with the Bronco so low and close to the drive shaft.

Some may inquire why we chose this design vs moving the crossover point further back. Our biggest obstacles is the transmission. We wanted this kit to work with the stock transmissions as well as most transmissions people swap into these EB's. Since the trans length can change we could not build a 1 fits all exhaust kit that way.

As far as Roland's options here. If he would like to send it back that is something we would consider or as others have suggested he could cut and splice or go to an exhaust shop and have them make a more custom fitting tube that will join up with the rest of our system.

Whichever way you decide to go I am happy to help you get there.

MM

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

I think you have some other vendors exhaust system. James Duff only makes the 2-1 like in the pictures posted above.

The dual exhaust system JD makes doesn't route like the way you described either.

Keep in mind everyone reading this that Karl was one of our front runners that helped test our system before it went into production. His feed back gave us vital info to make changes to the 2-1 exhaust system to make it fit a broader range of drivetrains in the EB.

As Roland previously stated, we were skeptical it would fit a stock height EB due to where the D.S. head pipe crosses over. He knew he was taking that risk when buying it. We tested several different EB's with several different lifts and drivetrains but none had crossed our path that had a stock height lift while doing our testing. Honestly I'm really not sure we could accommodate a stock height bronco with this exhaust system since there is very little room to crossover with the Bronco so low and close to the drive shaft.

Some may inquire why we chose this design vs moving the crossover point further back. Our biggest obstacles is the transmission. We wanted this kit to work with the stock transmissions as well as most transmissions people swap into these EB's. Since the trans length can change we could not build a 1 fits all exhaust kit that way.

As far as Roland's options here. If he would like to send it back that is something we would consider or as others have suggested he could cut and splice or go to an exhaust shop and have them make a more custom fitting tube that will join up with the rest of our system.

MM

Thanks Mike, I'm going to look into some of these suggestions, as well as yours, and see what I can make work. Maybe I should just add that lift I've been wanting to do...

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

After a lot of trying I'm confident this kit won't bolt onto a stock bronco, even with "minor" adjustments. JD did tell me up front it hadn't been tested on a stock bronco, so I knew this might happen. I just want to share this with others in case they are thinking of trying it.

After I removed about an inch of pipe from the piece that runs from the drivers side manifold to the Y connector, it looked promising. I only had about 1" of clearance between the pipe and my driveshaft which I hoped was enough. But after a quick drive around the block I found the driveshaft hit the exhaust pipe. As you can see from the pics the pipe is almost touching the bell housing, so it can't get any further away from the driveshaft.

So now a new exhaust has turned into a 2 1/2" lift or I drive it with the front driveshaft removed....

I'm trying to install the Duff's 2-1 exhaust kit (stock manifolds), and there just isn't enough room. They did warn me this kit has never been tested on a stock (no lift) bronco. Lucky me, I just proved it won't clear the front driveshaft.
If I shorten the pipe that connects to the drivers side manifold it might help, but I'd need to cut the flared end.... Even if I did this, it would only give me a 1/2"-1" of clearance if it worked. Am I still risking my driveshaft hitting the exhaust if compress the suspension? How much clearance should I have from the driveshaft?
My next thought is to bolt it all together and take it to a muffler shop so they can bend me a new piece from the manifold to the Y. Any tips or feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-0107.jpg
    IMG-0107.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-0108.jpg
    IMG-0108.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-0109.jpg
    IMG-0109.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-0110.jpg
    IMG-0110.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-0111.jpg
    IMG-0111.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 23

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca

MM

And I should add that monster mike offered to send out a rebent tube. But I was happy with how I was able to make it fit. I used stock exhaust manifolds also.