• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5 lift install question

duderhimer

Loc.
Wichita
I just installed a 2.5" lift kit from Toms Bronco, pretty happy with everything, there's only one issue, I now have a vibration coming from the rear drive shaft. Not sure if it's from the pinion angle which is approx. 8 degrees which seems excessive or less spline contact which I haven't checked yet. Has anyone ran into this problem?

Thanks,
Ken

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It happens but it may not totally be the pinion angle itself. Could be the centering yoke on the driveshaft is worn and can handle the new angle or a ujoint going out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But the pinion angle is a good bet these days. More and more experience this issue with the newer, thicker spring packs. Even with 2.5" sometimes.
Most of the time it's not until you get to the 3.5 and higher ranges, but anything can happen anytime, so it's worth checking out.

And if your 8° is measured at the rear pinion in relation to the centerline of the driveshaft, then it's definitely too much. Should be between -2° and 0° down, but somewhere in the 1 to 2 degree downbubble seems to work for most.
Shims should fix it, but if I'm not mistaken you usually get more change at the pinion than at the shim. So an 8 degree correction might only need a 5 degree shim. Or something like that. Others will know for sure.
So best to verify your readings (measure twice) before sourcing the shims (cut once) so you don't have to fiddle with it too much.

But like az said too, it's a good time to check the overall condition of the shaft and to definitely lube all 5 fittings, especially if it's been awhile.

Paul

OP
OP
D

duderhimer

Loc.
Wichita
Thanks guys, I plan to do exactly what you both recommend. Something I didn't tell you is the vibration only seems to be noticeable around 30 mph then fades away as you go faster. The driveshaft was totally rebuilt a year ago but will verify its health, true pinion angle, and spline contact. There's also the possibility I had this issue before hand and couldn't feel it with the sloppy 40 year old suspension and bushings because I was chasing a vibration before at around 55-60 mph that has mysteriously disappeared after installing all new suspension with bushings. Thanks again....