• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5" lift. will I need a drop pitman arm and drop track bar bracket?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
I have a WH 2.5" suspension lift and i am trying to get the steering sorted out. would the drop arma nd bracket make the steering more stable at 65mph? this rig is mostly a daily driver and rarely will it be off road.

thanks
chris

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm sure there are those that don't run the pair and have good steering but I run both as I like to keep the angles from beeing so steep. Steeper angeles mean the steering will be more sensitive to input.

I rebuilt my steering last year new everything (tie rods, ball joints, C bushings 7 degree, replaced all bushings everywhere, new Delphi box, adjustable track bar, adustable drag link) along with plating the frame both sides, new 1/4 DOM inserts and new it drives like a dream at all speeds....OK, 75 is the highest I've been up to. yea it cost me a few bucks more than I wnated it to but the result was well worth it.

What problems are you having? I chased my steering for years....Told myself I was going to give it one more go and if it wasn't better, I was selling the rig.......That's why i left nothing to chance.

Tim

NYLES

Bronco Guru
NOPE dont need em.

Shorty get the duff steering (Rock Crusher stuff) linkage and youll be good to go.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '76 steers and handles nicely with no drop bracket or riser on the track bar...with 3.5" lift and 35s.

7-degree C-bushings and 1-ton Chebby TRE tie rod and drag link. Dropped pitman arm. And that's it.

My .02.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I have a WH 2.5" suspension lift and i am trying to get the steering sorted out. would the drop arma nd bracket make the steering more stable at 65mph? this rig is mostly a daily driver and rarely will it be off road.

thanks
chris

I have a 2.5 inch lift (Duff) and do not have a track bar drop bracket or drop pitman arm. I had the truck aligned and it did need alignment shims...but it drives true and straight. The only reason I don't like going over 70 is because I have the stock power steering ratio of 6:1.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My1974 Bronco with factory power steering and 2.5" lift by Rancho uses a drop bracket for the track bar but no drop steering arm. I had to add 4 degree C-Bushings. I still run the shock from the frame to the tie rod. Steering at 70 mph is a relaxed one handed affair even with 33" tires. its been on the better part of 25 years.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I also run a 2.5in lift no drop brackets drives very good I do 75 on the hiway no issue. For what its worth I wouldnt use the drop brackets unless you find you have issues then you may want to consider using them.

TonyMontana

Loc.
Central
does it matter what kind of 2.5" lift i buy? i see different ones - standard, "deluxe".
what's the difference?

TIA

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The differance is usually more parts in each one. Standard is the basic kit but you may still need a few parts like extended brake lines, ect. The "delux kits usually include things liker brake lines extra shocks different mounts ect. just look at the parts listed. Of course it seems some kits are not coming with much nowadays and just because it says delux doesnt mean you wont need anything else.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
get this
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=37_82&products_id=327
and this
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/adjustable-drag-link-t-style-66-75-early-ford-bronco-new

i've installed this setup on many 2.5" lifts and it handles great. it's just so you can center the axle and steering, get it dialed in. no need for drop brackets.

if you absolutely must, do a track bar riser (stronger than a frame end drop bracket) and a tie rod over conversion. that'll put everything about 3" higher than stock and almost flat.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
I ordered the WH 3 way adjustable set up today. Along with the 1" body lift and a few other parts

1 1910 1-inch Custom Body Lift Kit
1 2351 66-75 Tie Rod & Drag Link (3 Way Adjustable)
2 5217 Defroster Duct Each
1 5340 Windshield Wiper Gaskets (Pair)
2 5344 Windshield Wiper Shaft Nut

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a good start there. Many people daily drive the WH kits a 2.5in lift is a good choice for a DD as its not so high that the alginment angles have gotten really out of wack. Where with the taller lifts it can take more work to get things where they should be. Thats not to say that every 2.5in lift drives good or every 5.5in lift drives bad. It all depends on the bronco. But if your mostly a DD and just after a "look and a better ride most of the 2.5in lifts will do it.