• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5 Suspension Lift Everyday Driver

stokers

Loc.
Lexington, KY
I've searched on the forum for the best set up but am still a little confused. I want to do a 2.5 suspension lift on a Bronco that will be strictly driven on the pavement. So comfortable ride is the goal. I am confused as to what type of coil (progressive or linear) and what type of leaf spring (stock type that has been re-arched or high leaf count type). It has also been suggested that I combine a stiff coil up front to avoid body roll and a Deaver type leaf spring (high number of leaf units, I think) in the back for softer ride. It appears the vendors who have 2.5 lifts generally have both kind of springs and coils with one being a little, or a lot, more expensive than the other. Either way I just want to get a good riding street bronco. Any input on this would be great.

Bob

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
progressive might be a bit more predictable on the street, but stiffer off road. I would suggest sticking to a vendor 'kit' unless you really understand spring rates. A 2.5" lift and a decent single shock would probably suit you fine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's where I'd say there are still some huge differences. And so I'll say "it depends on the springs", which I'm sure you didn't want to hear.
You may have to trust the vendors, but, as good as they are, I've run afoul of that before myself.

Some of the "stock" type 4, 5, or 6-leaf packs still ride like buckboards. I bought a set of basic lift springs from one of the vendors many years ago, which they actually thought rode better than stock. Yeah, right. And wheels are made of rock and I'm Fred Flintsonte!
The 10 leaf packs may ride better than stock, according to some, but I'd say the ride description is more like "stiffer, but less harsh" when comparing original to the big packs from WH or BC. Haven't experienced Deavers, or any others that might be out there yet though.

Going out of the fold here, Skyjacker has a supposedly soft rear spring (though you can't just go by the term "Soft Ride" with them either, just because they call their springs that) that is a traditional design with 4 somewhat thin main leaves and a thicker, semi-overload, bottom leaf. I've got them on mine, but have not driven on them yet. They look to be a softer setup than traditional 5-packs, but I can't tell you until I get mine back on the road.

As for the front coils, I've been very happy for years with my WH 3.5" variable rate coils. They're a tad softer than stock initially and I would expect the shorter height versions to be at least similar, if not better. They're the second-best ride on the street of all the coils I've used, Best was a 1.5" lift coil from Moog, of the same design. Never had a 2.5" myself.
Also never had any complaints about road-manners. No apreciable lean and handles very well.
Don't know if that opinion will change when I finally use the Skyjacker rears, but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

Variable rate is no guarantee of course, but typically they're designed so that you can get a very soft ride initially through a short bit of travel, then it stiffens up even more than stock after it's compressed farther. Nothing says a single rate coile can't be spec'd out to ride the same, but it seems to me they'd have to be made as sort of a compromise for the street. I've never used a single-rate coil from one of the Bronco vendors though, so that's just an guess and I can't speak for them.
The traditional suspension companies (Rancho, Trailmaster, Superlift, Burbank) had no clue. They still thought stiffer was better, so I'd venture a guess that any of the current Bronco vendors coils ride a world better.

Hope that gives you some more opinions from which to develop your gambling strategy.

I've found that the reason you may be reading so many differing opinions regarding springs is that different people have different ideas of what's comfortable, what's acceptable, and what's normal. Age, years with Broncos, how many other types of vehicles they've owned, and many other things play a big role in how they feel now and how they remember the past experiences with Broncos.
In other words, like new seats, it's totally objective.
That and the fact that you can't very well expect someone's experiences with 5.5" suspension, 3" body-lift, worn out 42" Super Swamper bias ply tires, and 3 $20 shocks per wheel to equate to someone's with a stock, original setup running 31" radial tires on 7" wide wheels.

It just doesn't work unless we've been down the same road as you.

Paul

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I've had a couple broncos on which I installed 2.5" lifts.

I installed a Duff kit with a helper leaf in the rear. It was a very basic kit, but nothing to write home about. The rear helper springs made for a brutal ride, though. The rest of the kit was fine.

I sprung for a WH complete kit this time around and a set of 11-leaf National springs. The lift is 2.5" and rides like a champ around town and is decent offroad. I don't stress about flex or anything else, since this is a 75% on-road truck.

Buy a kit and skip the helper springs. Go with a complete leaf kit with more than 5 springs.

JN

coreyvan77

I'd have to agree with Jeffncs. I installed a Duff 3 1/2" kit about 8 years back. My rig is mostly used on road for hunting and sees some mud. I installed the double shock hoops up front and double in the rears. I cheaped out for just the add a leaf in the rear and have kicked myself ever since as well. I run 35 inch Uniroyal MT's that I bought for a song but the rear springs do ride pretty rough with just the add a leaf. A stockish tire may make it ride even rougher as the 35's would have more flex in the sidewall I would think. I've had great luck with the Duff shocks and would buy them again. They have some 30/70 split dampening/rebound if I recall. Moral of the story I guess is I'd definately spring (sorry for the pun) for the 10 or 11 leaf springs in the back rather than the add a leaf.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I'm running a 3.5" Bullit Proof system from Jeffs and I love the ride. I had an old 3.5" Rancho Kit years ago with blocks for the rear and that would have rode better if i had removed the springs and just welded the axels to the frame!

Multi-leaf rears are better as far as I can tell.

broncbuster

I am partial to BC suspension. I'm running BC 4 1/2" front and rear. The coils are linear. IMO this gives less body roll as you don't have that super soft first inch or so. The ride is still what I would consider very smooth. I can hit small bumps in the street or big bumps off road and it just soaks it up. I am running the 9 leaf BC rear. At first it seemed slightly stiff but either it has softened up a little or I have gotten used to it. I run a hard top and often have 4 people plus gear so the slightly firmer rear is probably better for me. When I add a big bumper, big spare and an ice chest to the rearend I'll probably be really glad I have the firmer rear suspension. I got really flexed out a couple of weeks ago and found that the rear really flexes well in spite of being very stable on the street/hiway. Some people have gone with the BC coils up front w/ deaver in the rear, that works well also, a little softer in the rear.

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
I'm running a 3.5" Bullit Proof system from Jeffs and I love the ride. I had an old 3.5" Rancho Kit years ago with blocks for the rear and that would have rode better if i had removed the springs and just welded the axels to the frame!

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
If your want a good ride and only 2.5 Why not just put a 2 in Body lift and be done much cheaper and you'll keep your stock ride..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go new springs most of those old stock springs are just plain worn out and will ride harsh. Not to mention a lot has been learned in spring design compared to what Ford was installing 30+ years ago.
I've run the Skyjacker soft ride 2.5" springs ie front coils and 5 pack rear leafs. The ride is way better than stock. The front could be a little softer in my opinion but I mainly drive offroad with them now.
I broke one of the rear soft ride springs and replacd the set with BC's rear 12 leaf springs. I think it rides a little rougher than the soft rides but still way better than stock. I wished I would have went with the 3.5in rears as I run a full hard top , 23 gal tank, full sized spare, and carry tools all the time. the rear sits lower than I like by about 1 in. Soft if your going to run a hard top and carry stuff you may want to ask the venders if it will ride level or not most suggest going 1" taller in the rear. My soft rides were also a little lower in the rear but not as much as the BC springs.

methcat

Loc.
long beach
Some people have gone with the BC coils up front w/ deaver in the rear, that works well also, a little softer in the rear.

are bc coils deaver? i noticed they only list one type on their site and the deaver site lists them (bc) and JBG as their only two distributers of bronco coil springs...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I might add , having no experience with this yet on my broncos , I did get to ride in the back of another one when mine over-heated. I was super impressed with how much softer his multi-leafs were than my add-a-leaf that was installed by the PO. I can find out which brand they are for certain , but I don't think it is important.

Chuck at BC's says his linear rate springs will not settle nearly as bad as the progressive rate springs. Something else to consider .....that has been a topic of much discussion here lately.

To answer your question , strictly my opinion , due to BC's reputation , I'd look at his stuff first , hell , call him and ask his opinion , he's good about that stuff.

methcat

Loc.
long beach
Last edited:

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
Good thread guys!

I am finally getting around to ordering a 2 1/2" suspension for mine. Stokers, I'm real curious about what you order. Mine is mostly a daily driver also but I will get off road during hunting season, but do not plan on any rock crawling type driving.

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
I just went through this same scenario on my stock uncut '70. After much research on CB, I chose a 2.5" kit from WH and it is fantastic. The ride is great and I just did some serious trails in CO, not severe rock crawling, but the suspension performed great.

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
I chose a 2.5" kit from WH and it is fantastic.

I have been looking at this kit as well. Would you recommend the WH kit and would you consider it to be not a stiff suspension?

Jim

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
Jim, personally I do not consider it too stiff. I believe the WH 2.5" suspension a great compromise for a daily driven street Bronco that can still do some trail time too. Like I said earlier, it is not a major rock crawling suspension, but that is not what you are looking for anyway. Best of luck on your Bronco!