• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5in lift

77 bronco

Loc.
Ellington, CT
Looking to put a 2.5" lift on my 77 but not sure what i should go with. I dont really want to spend more than $600 if possible. What all do i need such as drop pitman arm adjustable track bar ect. Can i use the stock? This will be an on road bronco when completed.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I have a 2.5 in lift....did not drop pitman arm and have stock track bar. I HIGHLY recommend getting new rear springs instead of an add-a-leaf.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The 2.5 seems to be the sweet spot where you can get away with running all the stock stuff but the add-ons do help.

I don't care about ride quality however I'll all about handling which is to say steering and tracking correctly.

I'm running stock brake lines, blocks in the back, springs in the front, 7 degree bushings, drop pittman arm, drop T-bar bracket with an adjustable (both) T-bar and drag link. I did order shocks 2 inches longer than stock but I ran the stock shocks for a few years before I did that. I don't do any hardcore off roading so figured I was OK.

I didn't buy a kit I just added as I could. My bronco is built/repaired while sticking to a strict budget (too many toys...long story).

Tim

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like my 2.5" lift and have had a couple of them. It has its advantages. You don't need to drop the track bar, brake lines are usually fine, and you can still park in the garage with a 1" body lift and big tires.
Toms has several kits. The only difference in their stage 1, 2, & 3 is the way the rear is lifted. I first installed a Stage 2. It uses an add-a-leaf which lifts it OK but rides pretty rough. I now have their stage 3 and really like the ride. I didn't need a dropped pitman arm with the inverted "Y" steering but had to put one in when I changed to "T" steering.
The shipping is going to cost a bunch though. Shipping on leaf springs is brutal.
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-2-5-suspension

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
doing a 2.5 right now on my 77. Using a pair of the Wildhorses reject coils for $40, new 4* c-bushings and 2" blocks in the back. Figure I'll be into the lift for about $300 after getting new shocks, u-bolts and bushings.

MarkH@Wildhorse

Contributor
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I think from us, the System 3 would be the best choice.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/system3_w_WH_shocks_2in

Mainly because it comes with new rear leafs. If you're going to lift it and want a nice ride, get rid of your 40 year old leafs.
Being mainly an on road truck, I'd also add a front sway bar to it just so it really handles well.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/FrontSwayBarKit
As everyone is saying, the 2 1/2" lifts are kinda border line if you need a drop trac bar bracket or a adjustable trac bar. I'm the kind of person that always wants an adjustable trac bar.

11wnb

I would highly recomend the full leaf pack over an add a leaf. Even if you use a lift block for a while and upgrade later.
My bronco already had the add a leaf when I bought it so I ran it like that until I could afford the 11 leaf pack.
I did install an adjustable track bar, and drag link. Stock pitman arm and I believe 4 degree bushings. All from Wild Horses.
When I did the chevy disc conversion I swapped out the original brake lines for the extended ones.

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Quick hijack - for a daily driver would there be any benefit to getting the 11 vs. the 5 pack of rear springs?

Thanks
Will

JHolloway

Loc.
Acworth/Kennesaw, Ga
I have a 76 with 2.5 lift and was told that I didnt need adjustable trac bar, drop brackets or drop pitman arm. With the inverted y steering it will function without these add ons but it drives terrible! What happens is when you lift it it pulls upward on the steering and inward on the knuckles. This makes it very dangerous causing the steering to work against itself. You can try it for yourself without the add ons but I can tell you from experience as mine is a daily driver that you will hate it. I added a drop pitman arm, tracbar riser and a new steering stabilizer and the difference was extremly noticable.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
My Bronco only has the lift kit and it drives perfectly straight. After you install the lift you NEED to take it to an alignment shop who knows what they are doing. I have an alignment shim installed on each side which made all the difference for proper alignment. Alignment on a Bronco is much different than most cars....the alignment guy needs to already know that.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If on a budget here is what I would recommend.

Get the front done with Adjustable Trac Arm and Radius Arm Bushings and Springs.

2-3 " Blocks in the rear with longer U-Bolts.

Shocks for Front and Rear.

Future, install 11 Pack Rear Springs. (Could re-use the longer u-bolts)

Drop bracket is not needed at all. I suggest the Adjustable Trac Bar because the body may not be centered correctly over the frame. (I have always needed one)

Wild Horses has come through with great results every time. Highly recommended!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quick hijack - for a daily driver would there be any benefit to getting the 11 vs. the 5 pack of rear springs?

Thanks
Will

Almost always. But it depends on who's rear springs. A 5-pack could possibly ride well, but in my experience most 11-packs ride better than most 5-packs. Not all are created the same and specifics matter.
So again... It depends.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As JHolloway and Bronco Junkie were saying 77 Bronco, your year is not always as simple as just adding springs. Yes the general rule is for 2.5" you might not need any other stuff (even if you "should" use it), but that's for the earlier models with the "Inverted-T" style steering. Yours has the '76/'77 only "Inverted-Y" system. And it's not as forgiving of it's angles being changed.
At the very least, you need to have your toe-in readjusted, but even that's just a hit-and-miss thing. Most owners that do the taller lifts just automatically change their whole steering linkage to the other style. Some continue to use the "Y" setup, but as always... Your Results May Vary.

One thing you could do now though, since it sounds like it's drivable, is to take it to an alignment shop and get a printout of your existing settings. You really want to know what your caster angle is for starters. That way you can decide which C-bushings are best for you. Most early Earlies need more bushing than is expected, but after sometime in '75 or '76, things started getting corrected at the factory. But it's still best to know for sure.

As was mentioned I think, you can slowly do one thing at a time, but be ready willing and able to make more additions to your parts pile if your Broncos doesn't like being lifted. At a minimum, you'd probably want the adjustable trackbar, but since adjusting the draglink is so critical to a lifted truck (and your stock one is not adjustable) you might be into it for a more adjustable linkage setup.

Wait for a few more of the '76 and '77 owners to chime in with their experiences before you pull the trigger, and definitely do a "before-and-after" alignment check. It's money well spent and some even get the printouts for free since the alignment guy doesn't have to adjust anything the first go-round.

Paul