• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 questions.bellhousing and valve cover

black pearl

can i drill out the threads in the bellhousing for the bell crank support and rethread? and can the hole in the valve cover be fixed?
thanks

Attachments

• bellhousing.jpeg.jpg
    bellhousing.jpeg.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 52

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I think the hole in the valve cover could be welded closed pretty easily. As to the the drill/rethread... I have seen it done on heads, but usually they use a Helicoil... I don't see why that won't work, but would want to double check the torque rating on them and compare to the recommended torque on the bellhousing bolts...

DD

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Let me clarify just a little too, are you wanting to drill our all the threads around the whole bellhousing? Or are you just wanting to fix one stripped thread? I don't know if I would recommend doing them all, but one or two to fix them you might get by with...

The valve cover is obvious, what is going on with the bellhousing threads?

DD

OP
OP
black pearl

black pearl

the threads are messed up on the bellhousing where the bell crank support goes.i need to fix it somehow.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
black pearl said:
the threads are messed up on the bellhousing where the bell crank support goes.i need to fix it somehow.
Retap it, a tap and die kit from Sears (Craftsman) or so goes a long way. I believe it is 7/16 course thread.. For the hole in the valve cover, weld it shut, if you don't have a welder then cold weld it with something like JB Weld.

FOMOCO_1546

Contributor
Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Matt, Come up and borrow a 7/16-14 tap and run through the hole in your bellhousing. If you have the hole really messed up, as in to big, try a helicoil.

OP
OP
black pearl

black pearl

i ran a 7/16-14 through with my fingers.the threads don't look that bad,but the bolt moves around in the hole.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
If the 7/16 bolt moves around too much, Retap it with a 1/2"-13 tap and use a 1/2" bolt. Drill out the bracket to fit.

OP
OP
black pearl

black pearl

Madgyver said:
If the 7/16 bolt moves around too much, Retap it with a 1/2"-13 tap and use a 1/2" bolt. Drill out the bracket to fit.

that's my next move.

OP
OP
black pearl

black pearl

i'm back in business.the 1/2"-13 did the trick and i didn't have to drill the bracket.