• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 vs 4 Barrell EFI?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Well, it looks like my FiTech 400 is down for the count. I had someone look at it and their view was that it needed to be replaced. Not sure exactly what the issue is but apparently one of the ports / barrels is continuously shooting gas like it's at WoT and a few of the plugs are drenched and not firing. I know, bad description of the problem.

I'm planning on going with the Holley Sniper, largely based on his recommendation and the ability to have support if I have issues. The issue is that they only have the 2 barrel units available. I'm running pretty much a stock 302 and not planning on doing any performance upgrades. I'm assuming more ports are better than less but trying to determine if I will lose anything with a 2 barrel set up.

Thanks.

omureebe

Ya know I had a stuck injector on my FiTech, pouring fuel in, and once I replaced it no problem at all! I had a bunch of little issues like this, butterflies not engaging at the same time, bad MAP seal, etc that once diagnosed and repaired the thing runs like a champ. There's plenty of FITech support, mainly on Facebook, and I hear the same type of issues with the Holley unit. Good luck!

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Ya know I had a stuck injector on my FiTech, pouring fuel in, and once I replaced it no problem at all! I had a bunch of little issues like this, butterflies not engaging at the same time, bad MAP seal, etc that once diagnosed and repaired the thing runs like a champ. There's plenty of FITech support, mainly on Facebook, and I hear the same type of issues with the Holley unit. Good luck!
How would I unstick an injector?

68Broncoz

Contributor
Had the same issue, just a stuck injector from running a 100 micron filter vs 10 micron filter.

Replaced the injector and installed a 10 micron filter all good to go.

I think Summit as well as Fitech sell the injector, pretty easy to replace.

I tried cleaning the stuck injector no luck and easier to replace,

Chris

omureebe

If you want to see what it looks like, just idle your Bronco, remove the air cleaner, and look into the throttle body. Here's a vid clip what it looks like:

First thing to do to verify it's a stuck/clogged injector is to move the one that appears stuck open with the adjacent one. If the problem moves, yeah it's the injector. I bought a new one from FiTech for maybe $30? I forget. Put the new one in and job done. Like 68Broncoz said, you need to have both the 10 micron and 100 micron filters in place.

Good luck!

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
New injector ($40) and literally 5 minutes of time. I also switched from 100 to 10 Micron filter. Thx the help!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hopefully an injector fixes your problem, but, to answer you initial question the 2V sniper works fine even with a mild cam. I have it on my 75 and never had an issue. I wish I could say the same for the Terminator on my other Bronco, never ending tuning. For a stock motor I wouldn't hesitate on the 2V.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Hopefully an injector fixes your problem, but, to answer you initial question the 2V sniper works fine even with a mild cam. I have it on my 75 and never had an issue. I wish I could say the same for the Terminator on my other Bronco, never ending tuning. For a stock motor I wouldn't hesitate on the 2V.
Thank you for that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did a Sniper on a stock 460 a few years back. Throttle response was a little too good, as in on or off. This was the 4-barrel version. With all 4 barrels opening at once it is very hard to control the low airflow conditions. So right away I put a progressive linkage kit on it. Now it starts as a 2-barrel sniper until about half throttle. All the normal driving around was done on the 2-barrel. Only used the 4-barrels when really getting on it. This is on an engine 50% larger than a stock 302 (stock 460 with aftermarket intake and non-emission stock cam). For a stock 302, the 2-barrel Sniper will do just fine. It will flow all that the intake can deliver.

Another option would the the Q-jet version of the Sniper. That has small primaries for good controlability at low throttle settings and a factory progressive linkage. Does require a remote pressure regulator, but just get the corvette LS 3-port fuel filter. It has the correct pressure regulator built in.

omureebe

New injector ($40) and literally 5 minutes of time. I also switched from 100 to 10 Micron filter. Thx the help!
Hey just seeing - GREAT! So many little issues make a huge impact on these systems vs a carb. But once it's dialed in, mine has been a pleasure and very reliable. In fact I have all the parts to switch to Ford SEFI on a 351W and I'll just keep the FiTech going.