• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2014 Ditch the B*tch in Glamis

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
This is our annual men's trip to the California Glamis Sand Dunes. This year was the 19th year for the DTB. It was my fourth year attending. Every year it seems to get bigger. This year though was a slow year. We still had a good showing, but this old guy outlasted everyone....every night! WTH?

One of the great things about this trip is Mitch rounded up Sonny, Dave, Riley, Mason and we had a great Bronco showing! I brought Steve and Tim... Steve didn't have time to get his Bronco running so he co-piloted with me.

We headed over to California... my group left at noon, and Mitch's group later in the afternoon.

Here's Tim's weapon of choice.... King coilovers and deavers w/ Bilsteins

IMG_0860.jpg

I finally got the Bronco all put back together from my Mexico oops! New radius arm, shock, bushings and put my old wheels back on. Bent two in Mex. Also Vince (Jackholeracer) had converted two of my old Lightforce lights to HID.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

My awesome co-pilot 70_Steve

IMG_0863.jpg

Motoman.....fresh haircut and a shave! :eek:

IMG_0864.jpg

We got to the dunes as the sun was exiting the sky....

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

Setting up camp. Tim Hall (nephew inlaw) invited again this year to share his tow hauler. Just cant beat a shower and way to get out of the sand out there! Thank you Tim....

IMG_0869.jpg

Putting my old chrome wheels on there still kinda throws me!

IMG_0870.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Mitch's peeps rolled in later that evening. Riley and Carson put on the new paddles, Dave's alternator died taking it off the trailer. Riley's carb started blowing fuel all over the place......Mitch's 408 fired right up. So now we were down to two.....

We got a plan together to head out to Oldsmobile Hill. Mitch had a truck full and Riley jumped in with Steve and I and out we went. We made good time to the hill and all the razors, quads and bikes stayed at the bottom. Mitch and I parked at the top and enjoyed finally being here....in the dunes!

IMG_0871.jpg

On the incline Mitch's truck was leaking fuel for awhile. We had Mitch move to a more level area and utilized the spilled fuel for a ambiance fire.... Bronco paddle style! ;D

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Miracles happened the next day... before I even got up! Dave got an alternator and Riley picked up a new Edelbrock 600cfm Performer carb in Brawley. After a bowl of Honey and Oats (Blueberry and Banana flavor) mixed with banana and pop tarts I moseyed over for a peak at the progress. Carson and Riley had the carb on.... Mitch was tuning it. Dave had the alternator on, but it wasn't charging. While we all were wiggling wires Dave checked his fuses and found a blown fuse. New fuse and Dave was golden. Riley fired up his beast and put to the floor. Coolest friggen thing I ever seen! Roost from that spool and enormous paddles with a single puff of black smoke and it was GONE across the desert! :eek:

We were FOUR.....

We headed out to play in the dunes..... all getting the feel for them. I was trying to get my mojo back. Our first stop Dave was running a bit warm but everyone was having a good time!

IMG_0875.jpg

Motoman

IMG_0876.jpg

Perspective

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Everyone happy to be here!

IMG_0883.jpg

Riley's sand beast!!!!

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

:p:eek::D

IMG_0889.jpg

Dave's

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Mitch's

IMG_0891.jpg

And we were off into the dunes again

IMG_0892.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
At the next stop we all chatted about the "oh shits" and the "hell yeahs" for awhile and enjoyed the view

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

The cloudy day made it hard to see subtle differences in the sand. But the temps were perfect and a nice breeze blowing

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
We decided to head back to camp..... once in camp some guys came over and said my nephew had rolled his razor and hurt his hand and shoulder. As more information came in a decision was made to get the EMT's because of the severity of the cut on Tim's hand. They had James on the run with him who was a EMT/Fireman.

Once back to camp the EMT's showed up and got the laceration on Tim's hand cleaned up. It had been split all the way across the palm.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

He had also separated his shoulder and at that time an ambulance was called to take him to Brawley. The hospital stitched him up, found broken bones in his hand and gave him an arm brace to help him with the shoulder pain.

As night fell the crazies crept out and had some fun around the fire. The friggen explosions you would see the light first and the BOOM would still scare the $hit out of you....here's some fun gas bombs

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

Last edited:

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love Glamis

Some friends of mine were out there on a quad trip and saw your crew. I got texts all weekend with pics of you guys.

Looks like you guys had a great time!

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Earlier in the day I had noticed I was getting a belt squeal. The power steering pump brackets had developed two cracks. We took the bracket off and got it welded and Joe's Repair.... $50...owie, but fixed. Got it all together and enjoyed some dinner before we headed out to Oldsmobile.....

IMG_0939.jpg

While on top of the hill we had a razor come up and get us.... Dave (RAZOR DAVE) needed a large wrench for the rear hub. He got the rear all done and we enjoyed hanging with the wild bunch!

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Riley's Bronco with his wheel well LED

IMG_0945.jpg

Moto's with the blue hue from the LED whips next to me

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Good shot of the Bronco with the lights on

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

We had a quad that needed some air...Bronco to the rescue

IMG_0957.jpg

We decided to head back to camp....working our way through the dunes at night is a trip with Broncos! Dave's Bronco needed to cool down a bit so we played with the camera and lights on the Broncos.....

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

(2) 100w 9.9" Lightforce (windshield) and (2) 55w HID 9.9" Lightforce on bumper and (4) 4" tractor lights under

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

(1) Cree 20" LED bar and (2) 130W KC Highlights

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Mitch needing a little help from his friends.....

IMG_0978.jpg

As we were tooling through the dunes I noticed my lights were getting pretty dim and my voltage said 10.5 volts... I looked up and saw one of those strobe flashlights flashing us.... I worked the group over to them and saw some guys really glad we stopped.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

They had rolled their Razor, no one was hurt. So I winched him over.

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

After that we headed back to camp. I rolled in with lights barely on...knew I needed a alternator in the morning.....stayed up till 3:30 with some friends in camp. The next morning I made sausage, bacon, egg, potatoes, peppers, onions, cheese, sour cream, salsa burritos...... yum yum! It was then determined by Riley and Steve I had only burned up my alt belt. Mitch and Riley to the rescue with spare belts. Thank you guys for your help again!

Everyone after the fix and breakfast... pondering the potential adventures of the day!

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Stayed tuned for an epic day 3.......

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Some friends of mine were out there on a quad trip and saw your crew. I got texts all weekend with pics of you guys.

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Awe man...he should have introduced himself! Lots of Bronco fans out there! ;D

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great story and pics Greg,love the sand myself. Hope your nephew is doing better.

frenchy

Mr Rags

Hell of a good time!!! I need a year to recover!.......oh and a new transfer case. Absolutely love your photos Greg. Can't wait for day 3.

bohntr28

Loc.
Mesa
Nice thread Greg! It was so much fun blasting through the dunes with 3 other broncos!

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Looks like you guys had a great time, minus the injury . Hope hes healing up. How was the BLM? My friends from V town went for New Years. Said the law was out in force, even bringing rangers down from Idaho or Oregon. They befriended a ranger from there. He was pretty decent, but the regular guys were a little over the top. Awesome pics, neat rigs. Just how many gallons was in that fire bomb?!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great report, as always, Greg. Looks like a blast!

Todd Z.

distended

Contributor
Looks like lots of fun and no broncos ended up on their side this time.