• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2024 Is This theYear I Finally Make Progress on My 12 plus year Build update: 21 jul 24

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
wow.........like finding a barn find in your own barn!
I bought her in 1993 when I was in the Air Force in North Dakota... I saw her going down the road with a For Sale sign in the side window. I turned around and followed her (for about 20-30 miles) til she pulled off at a store and I asked about her, the man said "I'll take $2000 for the Bronco" and I bought her the next day, and drove her for about another year til I got out. He was a farrier and used the Bronco in his trade, and decided to upgrade his vehicle, so that is how I ended up with her. I drove her from Minot to North Georgia without incident (other than people zipping by me on the interstate) and for another year or so, until the turn signal switch let it's magic smoke out of the steering column and I found the cross-threaded steering shaft. Then she sat, and now I'm trying to make up with her... She's got plenty of reasons to be angry.

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I see you needing to buy lots and lots of pretty shiny things to get back on her good side. Just saying.

Randy

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
If I can't turn her on, then all the pretty shiny things won't do me a bit of good, correct? Gotta get her ready to go first....
One of the best things I've read in a while!

If it were me, I'd just get the turn signal, steering shaft, fuel system, tires and brakes done and just drive it. It's sat long enough :cool:

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same thing happened to me last. Went to muffler shop on a snowy Monday, closed. Stopped again on Tuesday after work. The front counter person said the crew took off early. They were all up very early doing snow removal. One more try on Wednesday, Success! Took them all of 10 minutes to bend a mid pipe from my Duff kit, just a little more. Can't complain much, no charge. At least I didn't have to bring the whole rig.

Keep after it and you will be done before you know it.
Yes I am over it, re-group and wait for the roads to clear.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
If I remember correctly, mine hasn't been on the road since late 1996 or early 1997. My plan for this year is to at least get her roadworthy again. Initial push is all new brakes, lines, and hardware from the pedal to the wheels, including front disc conversion from a '78 Bronco. Then see if I can salvage the steering shaft some jackass cross-threaded the steering wheel nut onto, along with a new turn signal switch (original reason I stopped driving it). Then redo the fuel system tank to carburetor, and finally the ignition system. I have gathered the vast majority of the parts I need, I just need to get it from sitting in the dirt to sitting on the concrete so I can get started. And at some point I suppose I need to get some good tires on her...
What! Don’t think I’ve seen anyone that has me beat…until now. Last drove mine in ‘99 I think, but I’ve slaved away the past 10 months hours almost every day and I’m close.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Muffler and oxygen bungs installed. Not pretty but functional.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One step at a time. Keep after it and you'll be driving it soon.
Yes making baby steps, got everything I need to finish serpentine. Will get the intake ready next. Had some other issues this week, but still making those baby steps. Also have the ecm programmed, should get it back next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the serpentine bolted up. 96.750 inch belt worked pretty well with the sd7 and Saginaw.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Going to keep posting updates as this is my accountability thread. I will mount radiator and fit hoses this week before I remove the body for las time to button up the frame and run engine. Have to order new radiator brackets.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
No slacking here. I just came in from the garage. I have been installing a duel exhaust kit. More challenging than I thought it would be.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No slacking here. I just came in from the garage. I have been installing a duel exhaust kit. More challenging than I thought it would be.
GN it seems to always take a little longer than we have planned lol. Git Egr done!

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Evening fellow slackers, making progress in the engine bay. Slow but steady, had some life issues nothing major. My mom (90 years old) smacked the curb and bent two rims and blew two tires but I almost got that buttoned up lol

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
90 year old tires??? Well, no wonder they popped. I know that’s not what you meant but just HAD to get a cheap joke when I could. By the way, I’m impressed your mom still drives at 90. That’s my new goal.

Randy

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
90 year old tires??? Well, no wonder they popped. I know that’s not what you meant but just HAD to get a cheap joke when I could. By the way, I’m impressed your mom still drives at 90. That’s my new goal.

Randy
Randy, lol, wooden wheels too. She does as well as some young drivers lol. Like having a teenager again.