• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

205 transgfer case questions in a eb??

tankhunter

Well I installed a larger lift kit and moved the rear axle back 4 inches so I need to get drive shafts built. I have a 205 gear drive sitting here I was thinking about switching it out with my dana 20. so I have a few questions, also I am running 38"s with lockers

Does anybody make a low gear set for it?
Does anybody make a adapter for a np 435 transmission?
Other than new shifter holes, will there be any other floor modifacations?
Any do's or don'ts on this considering this swap?
Or should I just stick with the dana 20?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lower gears for a 205, no. At one time there were lower gears, but it also required a new custom case, only available in right had drop (passenger side front output). For a Bronco there are no other gearing options. Typical fix is a doubler (various versions available) put between the transfer case and the transmission.

The 435 to NP205 is a factory option. Get a 4WD NP435 and it will bolt right up. Using a 2WD NP435 (that you probably have with the dana 20) is not the right way to do it.

Best bet is probably just keeping the dana 20 and upgrading it with an up rated output shaft.

Wyo4x4er

Floor modifications or a body lift is needed with the zf5. NOt so much the floor as the floor brace. with a 205 you have to make a mount to hang it on or from. It is rather heavy. With the rear being moved back 4" you could get away with a doubler and still be ok

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No low gears for the Ford unit, so an NP203 doubler or aftermarket planetary reducer would be your best option for nearly indestructible low transfer case gears. As noted above, an NP435 from a married trans/x-case application would be your best bet. You could sell your current 2WD NP435 (assuming that's what you have) and D20 combo to an EB owner if you want the added drivetrain beef.

I don't know what the D20 weighs, but I just shipped an NP205 and they weigh about 135# without yokes, so they're not particularly light or small by D20 standards. Given your setup, it really depends on how and where you drive as to whether the NP205 would be worth the extra effort...some will say yes, others no. I say do what you like.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
As others have said the 435/205 combo was used in many earlier Fords, which would be the way to go. I would recommend a doubler of some sort as the 205 is guide high, since Behemoth is gone either a 203 or newer planetary would be the ticket, especially with your setup. I have a ZF5/1356/205 combo and love it, tough, tough setup. I also have a Dodge 203 transfer case that I could ship you. I believe you only need the front part which wouldn't be near as heavy. Good luck.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
As others have said the 435/205 combo was used in many earlier Fords, which would be the way to go. I would recommend a doubler of some sort as the 205 is guide high, since Behemoth is gone either a 203 or newer planetary would be the ticket, especially with your setup. I have a ZF5/1356/205 combo and love it, tough, tough setup. I also have a Dodge 203 transfer case that I could ship you. I believe you only need the front part which wouldn't be near as heavy. Good luck.

Another company making planetary gear doublers:

http://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-BlackBox-Underdrive_c_7.html

I have never done business with them but found them months ago.

edones06

I run a 203/205 in mine behind a c6 and i LOVE IT. I used the kit from northwest fab. Great people to deal with. There from canada so shipping takes a bit longer but thay have really good tech support. Iv had there doubler for bout 5 years now. A good frind of mine just bought a kit from them also for his rig and is very happy with them. I also twin sticked my 205. The gearing options are awsom!!

OP
OP
tankhunter

tankhunter

if I decide to do a 203/ 205 doubler do I need a 2wheel or 4 wheel drive np435?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What brand of trucks used the 4x4 np435? And does it matter what year?

Ford trucks from 1966 to 1992

They were also used in Dodge, Chev. and International, but those would need an adapter.

The F250 with the divorced transfer case (aka Highboy) used the 2wd NP435

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
my 2 wheel drive np 435 cant be converted?

There are adapters to use a 2wd NP435 with the Bronco Dana 20 TC

No one makes an adapter for the 2wd NP 435 to the NP 205, because there already is the 4x4 NP435 that bolts right to it.