• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

21st Century upgrade project - 7" DVD/Navi

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

I will be checking into this, Thanks! I have been looking at a Pioneer system very similar but for $850 plus another $150 for camera. If it works good it would be well worth it.

This is my second one of these so far. I installed one last summer in my Toyota 4Runner. I have to say that for the money these are great investments. The camera does make a difference, meaning the more you spend the better the performance. However the ones that came with each of these devices is more than adequate for my needs.

The unit that I installed in the Bronco had a Navi Software called Sygic, that I was not very fond of, but I was able to copy and run the software from the other Navi in the Toyota, called iGo and it works a lot better and is not as primitive as the Sygic interface is.

Overall for the money, you cannot argue the performance of these devices.

Good luck, and if you have any questions please let me know.

Rich

backpain

Bronco Guru
. . all in the works for me, as well. Still debating head units though. Pioneer/JVC are likely current culprits (I need the ipod connectivity functions as well)

Some of these posts on type of back-up cam are helpful. Thx.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 255

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I am seriously looking at installing one of these in my wifes Explorer. I looked on Ebay and none of them are advertising the iGo version, what would it ake to get a copy of that?

Any advice or thoughts from your recent use?

Dan

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Dan,
Here is the vendor that I bought my first unit from a year ago for my Toyota.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-DOUBLE-DI...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231d48dfe7

This has the iGo software installed (at least the unit that I got does), and from the pictures in the ad, the navi software he is showing is iGo, so I would guess that is what you would get if you went with this unit.

I will say that this seller was very helpful when I asked him questions, and that was a big help to me.

LMK if this helps.

Rich

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
My main problem now is figuring out if this will fit in my wifes 96 Explorer. From the little bit of research I have done so far it sound like it should with some carving of the bezel. I'll look in to it further though.

So in your opinion it was worth the extra ~$50 to get the Igo GPS?

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Dan
Did you see this article? The unit in the picture looks a lot like the ones that the eBay vendors sell. You need the bezel kit described in the thread, and also the proper wire harness adaptor for a 96 explorer. These two things will make any installation a lot easier.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-units/351273-i-can-put-double-din-explorer.html

I can assist if you need help with wiring. The one thing that I like about this kit is the embedded power wire for the backup camera in the video cable. This makes integrating the camera on/off lead. Having it already routed to the back of the vehicle makes it easier to locate and splice into the reverse light circuit.

So yes the added cost for iGo is worth it.

Rich

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Does that unit have iPhone compatible bluetooth?

Yes, it connected to my Iphone 4 no problems. The interface is a bit cumbersome, but you can dial out and receive calls right from the stereo head unit. It is pretty clear too. I just don't like the fact that it gives you little freedom to quickly unpair the phone and use it without the hands free BT features, so it has a bit of a learning curve.

Also the Iphone jack allows you to play your Itunes music over the car stereo. On the cheaper unit that I put in the Bronco that works pretty well, but it does not charge the Iphone while connected. That sucks...

The other unit that I have in the Toyota actually charges the Iphone but the sound is not that clear (it is kind of muffled).

Either way for the money these are a lot of fun to hook up and mess around with.

Rich

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

6 Month Update...This system is still working perfectly, Navi is a lot of fun to mess around with. Still working on a different backup camera and position though. Too much of the picture is cut off by the hitch.

Rich

Last edited:

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Rich been following this thread. Install looks good and thanks for the Igo tip. I finally found a single DIN with the IGO. In fact except for the fact that it has really simple themes doesn't have 3D themes it does have the Igo, instead of the Sygic which almost all them use. One thing it has a 8 or 10 pin connecter, doesn't look like something I can find though will take a pic and take it to radio Shack see if they can help. Probably not be able to use the defrost too often with this unit, as it will have the screen in the way, but it will be in the line of site almost all the time. Plus underdash wont work for me as I am installing an AC unit there. I was looking to see if there was a screen that was motorized and folded down, couldn't find one, only ones that had the screen below the unit were permanently in the down position, nixing the stealth of the motorized unit....Mo

Heus33

Bronco Guru
With Rich's help I purchased one of these for my Xterra - I got the IGo version that he recommended.

Installation was easy (although I've done more than my fair share of stereo installs). Took me just over 2hrs to do everything including the backup camera.

Initial impressions are great - like Rich said - lots of options to customize and I really like the backup camera in my truck. Now I just need to figure out how to change wall-e to a regular car or arrow...

jumy4yda.jpg

syza2eba.jpg

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

That looks really great Tom. That version of iGo looks newer than the one that I have. If you get a minute, post a picture of the backup camera mounted and in action.

How does the iPhone hookup work for you?

R

Heus33

Bronco Guru
That version of IGO looks the same as mine. You should change WallE to a tank, there are several models of tanks to choose from ;)

Can you explain how you changed it? I can't figure it out for the life of me!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Was it a true double DIN or did you have to trim the opening?

For me - no trimming needed. I have a small gap around the sides that a trim ring will cover. The provided trim ring is too large so I'll either need to live with the gap or modify the current ring to fit.