• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

250 in a Bronco

OP
OP
P

Passauf

wild child

Anybody have another phone number for wild child. I tried his 866 number but it has a phone company recording stating his area code has been changed. thx

bmbm

Hi Broncokak
On your parts Bronco with the 250 does it have a stock hood? If so does it have a body lift and how much lift? Do you know what mods were done to motor mounts? I am installing a 250 in my 66 and engine is way to high. I am looking for some parts locally but if can not find would you sell parts off yours? Looking for alternater bracket, pulley, power steering brackets and pump. Does yours have a modified oil pan?
Thanks
David

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Some others have asked about the pan, I think they said it was the Maverick pan but I'll snap some pics of it if I can get under it. I have the stock hood with no body lift but there was no air cleaner on the carb when I got it. The only odd thing to me is the fiberglass fan that was added and it is awful close to the radiator if I remember right. The guy I got it from said it was a drop in swap so I’m not sure of the motor mounts but I’ll check them out when I get some pics of the pan.

I was always going to fix up the 6 banger and put a NP435 behind it. The EB has 4.10 gears and it had a lot of guts back when I got it. I may never get to it but for now I’d like to hold onto it.

bmbm

250 swap

Glad to find all this activity regarding 250 swap as I am attempting this right now. I have an uncut 66 that I swapped a 200 for the 170 several years ago and I beleive it was from an early 80s granada and was a true drop in swap. More power than the 170 but seriously hampered by the 3 speed trans. Currently have front springs from ebay that were sold as Duff 2" springs and rear springs (5+ overload) I got from a friend that purchased them from Wild Horses that are suppose to be 2.5" lift however they must be worn out as they are about stock height, I am going to install blocks. Also the front springs appear to lift more than 2" but they were probably intended to lift 2" with a v8. I know Duff made a 2" front coil because I have an old catalog that shows them. I have 1" body lift blocks and new rubber bushings that are to be installed during this swap. I also am doing the NV 3550 Advanced Adapters during this swap. My 250 is out of a 70 Mustang.
The 250 with NV and Dana 20 are in the vehicle right now and there are problems mainly with the height of the engine. I have read about slotting the holes on the mounts and this looks like it will lower about 1/2 to 5/8 inch and with the 1'" body lift it may work with the stock hood but I have my doubts. I did get a low profile air cleaner from the Mustang and am hoping for the best. If any one has experience with this I would appreciate your input. With the the front 2" springs I think I will have enough clearance between the Dana 30 and oil pan as long as do not use the Bronco for jumping. I would feel better about having a modified oil pan but will have too look at that later. Also if any of you are planning this same swap the Advanced Adapters trans cross mount does not line up with trans mounting bracket for the NV as the package was engineered for a v8. Also make sure you get the alt, pulley, power steering brackets as these do not interchange with the 200. I am having to look for these now.
Thanks in advance for any help. I will post updates and soon I hope driving impressions with this drivetrain package. I have owned this Bronco for over 20 years and think this will be what I have been looking for.
BMBM

Juntura

BMBM-

Please keep us updated on your project. Like you I thinking of going to the 250 because of the number of tranny's it allows me to run.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
OK, here are some pics of mine. The oil pan pics are not all that great b/c I couldn't get under it to good. The engine is taller than I remember too. You can see where they notched the hood braces to make it fit. Not sure what the motor mounts are.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3494.jpg
    IMG_3494.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3496.jpg
    IMG_3496.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 13

WILD CHILD

Loc.
las cruce
In that oil pan pic you can see a dent in the sump from the front diff hitting it. That is what happened to my first 250 and bent the oil pick up enough to suck air going down the freeway and threw a rod leading to an emergency engine swap one weekend.

bmbm

Hey thanks for the pics. Those motor mounts look a little different than my Bronco 6 cylinder mounts and your engine looks a bit high as well. We think we have a good plan for modification using existing brackets will post pictures if it works. I see the dent in your oil pan. Does this Bronc have a suspension lift?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
That's funny, I didn't pick the dent out right aay. I just stuck the camera under the truck and snapped the pics. I'll have to try and take a closer look at that sometime.

OP
OP
P

Passauf

install

So is the pan issue the only problem with this install or is their a motor mount issue also?? I have heard several stories in both directions What is the real answer ??

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Yes, unless you have a custom made dent in the bottom of it like mine! THe guy I got mine from is still around and I can ask him how hard it was to swap in. I've had it for quite a few years now but I'm pretty sure he said he had no problems with it. Also, it was his Dad's Bronco and only got used on northern Maine logging roads for hunting and fishing so maybe the oil pan issue wasn't an issue for them. The other thing is the Bronco has no lift.

OP
OP
P

Passauf

I have heard you have to lower the frame mounts or alter the motor mounts on the block. I am just trying ti find someone who has actually done the swap and knows for sure. thanks

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I have heard you have to lower the frame mounts or alter the motor mounts on the block. I am just trying ti find someone who has actually done the swap and knows for sure. thanks

I did mine so long ago but the only trouble I had was the pan. I did what Wild Child did. If I was to redo it I would look for someone to make a custom pan from the start with a picup tube. I used the stock bronco 170 air cleaner tube with a 6" or 9" small air fillter upside down on it (chrome) with a plastic adaptor that came with it.