• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 Q's

dnash

Loc.
The home of Ford
I have seen on here a couple of times now that the 289 is a good engine but was wondering what makes it good particularly compared with the other common options like the 302 and the 351?

On another note, I tried to search for the information. Why do I get no results when I try to search for 289?

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I think the only reason to go with a 289 vs a 302 is if you are trying to keep everything completely stock; otherwise, 302 is a more powerful (better) choice.

351 kicks it up another notch but the block is a little bigger, so you have to make some minor adjustments to get it to fit. To fit a 351 you need a couple inches of body lift and/or a cut hood.

Do a Wikipedia search for "Ford Windsor" or "Ford V8" and you'll get a real good idea of how the motors compare.

Airtractr

The 289 is a great engine that can be wound real tight. You want a block preferrably no more than .030 over but I know plenty of people who run them .060 over with great success. The 302 is wayyy more plentiful and a great engine as well. The 351 windsor will make more torque and power bang for the buck. If I were building another engine for my Bronco it would be a 351, another for the Mustang would be a 289.
Here's a link for more info if you'd like to learn more.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417/

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Got to love the 289. It has plenty of power for a bronco! They are reliable, smooth running and have plenty of after market parts availible. I have a 67 with one in it and its great. I have also had one in a mustang and it kept up with 302s just fine. If you have one I would use it if not than go with the 302 I have two 73s with 302s in them they are a great motor I dont feel that a 351 is worth the effort. You can make a 302 have over 350 hp that is more than enough for a little bronco!

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
They are basically the same engine, the 289 just has a shorter stroke, resulting in less cubes. This can be an advantage for hp because it will wind up higher easier. On the other hand a longer stroke (302) generally makes more torque, which is what you want in a heavy or off road vehicle. Our EB's are both. You can build a 289 to do whatever you want, and they are great engines. Ford quit installing them in early 68 and went to the 302 from there on out, and a newer version is the 5.0, which is the same engine. The 5.8 (or 351 W) is also the same basic engine, but the cylinders are longer for even more stroke, which also makes it a little wider at the top of the "V". This is also how the 351M and 400 were created from the 351C. There are some other differences, but same basic block. If I remeber right, the 351W has 3/4" higher deck to get the extra cubes. And I think the only real difference between a 289 and 302 block is deeper bores to help with the longer stroke (although I have seen people build a 302 with a 289 block). All of this is coming from memory, so don't hold me to any of it!

OP
OP
D

dnash

Loc.
The home of Ford
Thank you all for humoring my curiosity. I have no plans to remove my 289 but I am glad I now understand more about why that is a good thing. It seems like it will run well other than a bunch of little gremlins that keep it parked, but I am pretty sure they are more outside of the engine rather than inside. It has been a great learning experience though.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
a little more:1963 ford used the predasesor to the 289 the 260 to build a push rod motor for indy ,for dan gurney and jim clark for lotus.shortened stroke to 255 ci.375hp@7200 rpm on gasoline.stock 289 bearings on crank.(bearing size).don't sell that little motor short as a lot of people do.the 260 was first used for cobra.you want a wopper ,get the cobra kit for 289,4 weber down draft.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Another good thing about the 289. with the shorter stroke you also get a longer rod. Double bonus as it makes for a better rod ratio. Less side loading of the cylinder bores due to rod angle.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I still run the '67 289 with a 2barrel , it does what is expected for a engine of its age . I do have a couple 5.0 projects in the works but in the meantime Mr. 289 keeps going . With the heads, cams and intake options now available the 289 could be a real sleeper.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
When I began rebuilding my 302 I found that I was going to have to sleeve it since it'd been punched so many times in the past. I then found a virgin 289 block for $100 bucks and used that instead with my 302 heads. With a slighlty hotter cam it now generates 240 hp. With 3K miles on it, I am one happy camper. It runs smooth and has plenty of power for my daily driver.