• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5" Suspension Lift - Do I need to have driveshafts lengthened?

bsquared

Contributor
I have a buddy that's putting in a 3.5" suspension lift on his stock Bronco. Will he need to have the driveshafts lengthened with that much suspension lift?

I put a 2.5" on mine and did not need to do anything to mine, but I had already had mine resized to accommodate the ZF 5 speed I had installed a couple of years prior. The 2.5" lift did not change my lengths by much.

As always, thanks for the advice! B2

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Some do, some don't, for whatever reason. Install lift, and get the weight back on the tires, then measure. You may or may not also have to correct the pinion angle with the 3.5" lift.

Firedog67

I did not have to, but I did install a degree shim under the spring packs to help the angle. Just spent last week on the Blue rock trails with no issues.
Every Bronco seems to be unique in this area

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rear you will need to lengthen, the front is usually fine because of the way the front suspension cycles.

I'll disagree with Mark, for once. Like the others said, it's a hit-or-miss proposition. Like Mark, you "might" need to get a longer one, but in my experience I'd have to say less than 20% will need longer rear shafts just for a lift. But if you do, you do and there's no way around it.

Like also said, you can't know until the full weight of the vehicle is back on the ground, the suspension is in it's ride-height position, and the rear pinion angle is correct. Anything else and you're just getting false readings.
The pinion angle has a HUGE effect on driveshaft length requirements too, so don't underestimate the importance of angle shims under the springs. If they're needed, they're needed. The only other corrective option normally used is to cut the spring perches off and re-weld them on in the correct position.

Paul