• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5" Suspension Lift Options/Questions

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
hey Jambi! Isn't this a great community!? Lots of great helpful guys here. I'll throw my .02 cents in as well to help you with deciding which lift to choose and how to avoid pitfalls of installing it.

I agree that a single shock on each corner is plenty with the correct shock and lift and as DirtDonk said, a good starting point. The James Duff classic 70/30 dual shock suspension setup is nice but you now also have the choice of the premium shock built here in the good ole US of A by Eibach. It is designed specifically for 66-77 Bronco's with 31-36" tires and 2.5-5.5" of suspension lift. They are designed to function as a single shock per corner setup and these new shocks are built with same level of quality & performance as a fox or king shock. More info below. Since this is a brand new offering for 2020 it has not yet been integrated into the suspension systems on the dufftuff.com website. Also, a new web page is being developed as I write this so the Duff IT/media guy has his hands really full right now or he would have it already on the current website.

There is a Duff suspension system like the one you are after that comes with the listed components below for $1449.95 Since it is not on the website yet and I don't have pictures of it laid out here is what all is included in the suspension system. Keep in mind, all these components are 100% American made. Even the steel ore mined to make the springs is american.
- 3.5" BLACK PROGRESSIVE COIL SPRINGS
- 3.5 PROGRESSIVE 11 LEAF PACK LEAF SPRINGS
- NEW PAIR OF UPPER COIL SPRING RETAINERS - ZINC PLATED
-DROP TRAC BAR BRACKET + NEW HARDWARE- COMES BARE - BOLT & WELD ON
-14 PIECE BLACK BUSHING KIT - TRAC BAR & RADIUS ARM BUSHINGS - NEW ZINC COATED SLEEVES INCLUDED
-NEW GRADE 8 GOLD ZINC PLATED U BOLTS WITH HARDWARE
-HD U BOLT PLATES - ZINC COATED
- NEW MS2020 SHOCKS - DIAMOND BLACK POWDERCOAT COMES WITH BOOTS QTY 4
-2 STUD EYE FOR STOCK FRONT SHOCK MOUNTS
-2 EYE TO EYE FOR STOCK REAR MOUNTS

ADD ONS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING THE LIFT ABOVE
-DROP PITMAN ARM
- NEW LONGER DRIVE SHAFTS
-PINION CORRECTION SHIMS - 2, 4 OR 6 DEG
- LONGER FRAME TO AXLE BRAKE LINE KIT
- LONGER E BRAKE CABLES
- T REX OR LONG RADIUS ARMS - BLACK OR BLUE POWDER COAT
- HD TIE ROD AND DRAG LINK HEIM STEERING SYSTEM

It is worth mentioning that the suspension system listed above has some of the same components as the new Duck Tuff lift that just came out. The reason this is worth mentioning is because the Duck Tuff lift is considerably more money but if you want to build up to it, this is a good starting point. As for the back story for those that aren't familiar with the Duck Tuff lift, James Duff collaborated with Tom Hyde of Lick Creek Restoration IN 2018 to configure a suspension system that they consider the end all be all lift the Early bronco will ever need. The Duck Tuff lift takes your 50+ year old Bronco and gives it the handling, ride and control of a modern SUV w/o losing any offroad ability. I had the pleasure of driving The Duck, a 1973 Bronco this lift was developed on and thought I had already experienced the best from another builder prior to driving this one. If you want more or want it all, this lift (in the link below) really does deliver in every category. It is available in 2.5" & 3.5"
https://www.dufftuff.com/DuckTuff_2_5_Lift_System_p/ducktuff.htm

And as DirtDonk mentioned, the 2.5" with 1" body lift is really a great choice with a great stance for 35" tires or a 2.5 with no body lift with 33" tires also works & looks great too. Both obviously with cut rear fenders. That lift would be just like the one listed above the Duck Tuff but would come standard with an adjustable trac bar instead of a drop trac bar bracket which means it also would not need a drop pitman arm.

If you'd like more info, you can call in and place your order & get a shipping quote at 865-938-6696 part# 5006D+MS2020. (until April/May 2020 when we have it up on the website) If you have a commercial facility with a loading dock or fork lift you can also ask for a freight quote. James Duff has recently swapped from UPS to Fedex which has a more competitive shipping rates across the board and delivers on Saturdays. There are some Sunday options now too but you would need to call or email Duff's shipping manager for specific details on that and freight quotes. Call the number above for more info there as well.

Also, good info for everyone. Pretty soon sales tax will start being added to all shipments no matter what state you live in or where the parts are shipped from. Some states and large companies like Amazon this is already in affect. If you plan on buying parts outside of your state you may want to get your orders in before the sales tax laws get worse.

And if you're are still reading...Yes I know, a bit windy sometimes but I am trying to keep up with my buddy Paul;) I think I am more windy than him this time right Paul? lol ;D

There is a new you tube channel filled with tech videos hosted by yours truly called Bronco Garage that can help you with the common issues like installing C bushings and radius arms. Lots and lots more videos on there covering other categories and plenty more on the way so please subscribe. That means hit the red button in the link below that says SUBSCRIBE... Thank you ;):-*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXL4iX0NFmtJH3wLVmNA1Qw?view_as=subscriber

Last but not least, here is the info I promised comparing the Duff 70/30 shocks to the new MS2020 shock built by Eibach and designed by James Duff Inc.

JAMES DUFF 70/30 VS MS2020

JAMES DUFF 70/30 SHOCK
WORKS GREAT WITH 1 OR 2 PER CORNER OF BRONCO
HYDRAULIC SHOCK - 70/30 VALVING
70% REBOUND
CONTROLS SPRING BOUNCE BACK
30% COMPRESSION
LETS THE JDI SPRINGS DO THEIR JOB
TWIN TUBE
CHROME SHAFT
CLASSIC LOOK & TECHNOLOGY
GOOD RIDE QUALITY
TAMPER PROOF SEALED DESIGN - NON SERVICEABLE

JAMES DUFF MS2020 SHOCK
DESIGNED TO PRIMARILY RUN 1 PER CORNER OF BRONCO
NITROGEN GAS CHARGED SHOCK
MONOTUBE DESIGN
WHY IS MONOTUBE SUPERIOR TO A TWIN TUBE DESIGN?
-BIGGER PISTONS
-BIGGER VALVES
-HOLDS MORE OIL
-STAYS COOLER LONGER
SPECIAL VALVING
SPECIFICALLY ENGINEERED TO WORK ON A BRONCO AT ANY SPEED
SPECIAL DIGRESSIVE VALVING FOR LOW SPEED
EXTRA RESERVOIRS NOT REQUIRED
DESIGNED TO STAY COOL ON OR OFF ROAD
FATIGUE TESTED
14MM NITRILE STEEL BLACK CHROMATE PISTON SHAFT
EVERY SHOCK IS DYNO TESTED BEFORE IT LEAVES EIBACH
STRONG, DURABLE BLACK DIAMOND POWDER COAT - SUPERIOR TO ZINC COATING COMMONLY SEEN ON SHOCKS LIKE BILSTEIN
SALT SPRAY TESTED - ZINC COATED SHOCKS WILL FAIL THIS TEST AND THE ZINC STARTS TO BREAK DOWN AFTER 1 SEASON
SILVER METALLIC JAMES DUFF STICKER INCLUDED
TAMPER PROOF SEALED DESIGN - NON SERVICEABLE
BEST RIDE QUALITY & CONTROL IN THE INDUSTRY PERIOD

*ALL JDI SHOCKS ARE DESIGNED AND TESTED ON THE 66-77 BRONCO*
*ALL JDI SHOCKS ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR RACING APPLICATIONS*

Here is a link to the new MS2020 shocks on James Duff's website.
https://www.dufftuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=8208&x=0&y=0

I am not on here as much as I would like to be so if you PM me and I don't respond right away I am just busy and will get back to you sometimes as fast as a couple days but it could take weeks. If you need quicker service, the tech support at James Duff is fast and superb. 865-938-6696 sales@dufftuff.com

MM

Last edited:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
There has been a load of outstanding info on here. I will add one thing that has been barely brushed, radius arms. No matter who’s lift you go with you need to replace the factory outdated radius arms. I’m a big fan of the Duff TRex. We collaborated with Duff to get them made for a LUBR we built as I didn’t want to reduce steering radius. What we discovered after the fact was they corrected a built in flaw of limiting travel by the stock arms. They are designed for a decent range of travel both up and down but when you keep them with a lift you are actually reducing the range due to built in bind. TRex is a bolt on solution that fixes that and let’s the multi rate springs work as designed. Monster Mike mentioned the Duck Tuff and if you follow that parts list we have done all of the leg work and testing to ensure you have the same repeatable results every time. Good luck with your project and welcome to the community!

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Contributor
I'd love to see some pictures of the stance of a Bronco with a 2.5" SL with 1" BL and 33 - 35" tires vs 3.5" SL with 1" BL and 33-35" tires if anyone would like to share. I'm sure the stance of a 3.5" SL with 1" BL and 33's would look similar to mine, but I'd still like to see some pics. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are some good threads here with pics of just what you're asking.
But the difference of just one inch overall with the same size tires is quite hard to distinguish in pics.

The biggest appearance change can be had just from using wider or narrower wheel/tire combinations.
Obviously there is an additional 1" gap between the bumpers and the body when you add the 1" body lift, but this is not very notable from some angles. Or not at all with fillers, tire carriers, bumpers, or other things that fill the gap.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd love to see some pictures of the stance of a Bronco with a 2.5" SL with 1" BL and 33 - 35" tires vs 3.5" SL with 1" BL and 33-35" tires if anyone would like to share. I'm sure the stance of a 3.5" SL with 1" BL and 33's would look similar to mine, but I'd still like to see some pics. Thanks!

what he said, search, and do some looking, lots of great info, pics on here..

Can't go wrong