• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.91 gears?

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Was reading a post and when I went to completeoffroad's site I saw the 3.91 gears. Is anyone running these. I know most people go with 4.11 or 4.56...is this a good middle of the road gear for both on and off highway usage? What would you put in the front?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Gears go with tire size. 3:50 stock to about 31's and 4:11 is good for 33:12.50x15's and if you go bigger then 4;56's hope this helps as for 3:91 a mustang typ gear not used in the bronco. Bronco 4x4 used 3:50 , 4:11 , 4:56 and Im not sure what they ran in the 2 wheel drive.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Whatever gear you get for the rear, you need to match in the front.

The options for the 44 are a lot more limiting then the 9” out back. I know that there was a 4.27 gear for the 44 and you can get a 4.30 for the 9” That would work.

The 4.10 and 4.56 are common gears. the common gears are more affordable then the off gear ratios. I remember seeing some odd gear sets costing around $400 while the standard 4.10 is only $150. So I would consider cost to be a deciding factor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are a lot of thing that are not available in certain axles. The 9" just happens to accept just about everything. Now were you wanting a 3.89, 3.90 or 3.91? I believe that they are all available through the aftermarket. If you want to get real nutty, I found 9" gears that go into the 7+:1 range.

U

Unregistered

The point I was making is nearly the same as yours except that the available selection is even narrower for HP44. If I remeber correctly it jumps from 4.11 to 4.56.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
It isn't that much of a difference; for commonality and cost 4.09 front D44/4.11 rear 9" would be a better choice and the difference in RPMs and driveability are negligible.
If a guy really wants to do it, he could use 3.89/3.91 rear gears and put a Dana 44 3.92 R&P in front (low pinion diffs only).