• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on tree shift adjustments

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Looking to fine tune the shifting on my Bronco. 302, 3 speed on the tree, 1" BL. I have been driving it for a bit and I am noticing a few things. 2nd and 3rd gears are smooth, either at a stop or while driving. However, first and reverse are not as smooth. At a stop, sometimes I need to work through the gears to get it either 1st or reverse. Also, while driving when I try to down shift from 2nd to 1st I have to grind it a bit to get it into 1st. No issues with down shifting from 3rd to 2nd.
Any 3 speed experts that can help me dial this in? Which shift lever should I start with?

Thanks,
Will

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you put the transmission in neutral, you can align the shift arms at the steering column by putting a long nail or unbent coat hanger through the holes in the arms and the alignment bracket on the column. Once that's done, climb under the Bronco and adjust the shift linkages so they are nice and tight in neutral. That should firm up the shifts.

This will help some, but if the synchros in the transmission are worn, it's never going to shift 100% without grinding occasionally. Adjusting your clutch at the fork could also make some improvement.

I have a Bronco that I frequently have to double clutch from a dead stop in order to get it to go into first without grinding. Especially if I'm shifting from reverse to first when backing off my driveway.