• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed manual to C4 automatic. Plan of attack?

Tram

Bronco Guru
Ok guys..

The Stars have finally aligned and it looks like I'm the next couple three weeks I'll be trying to swap the C4 in.

I've got the C4, transfer case adapter, fly wheel and new torque converter. I'm going with a dirt track style shifter.

What else am I going to see for the swap?

Kick down linkage and .... ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cooler
Neutral safety switch
Flexplate to crank bolts are shorter than the flywheel bolts
Correct convertor nuts
C4 block plate
Automatic starter

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Completely forgot about the cooler.. I'll go research that now.

JohnJohn

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I also did the dirt track shifter with my C4 conversion but I am about to get rid of it. I dont like the hole for the shift rod in my floor and I cant install a center console because the shifter next to the seat.
I also had an issue wheeling last weekend. I could not get into park when I was facing downhill. The body was tweeking and impacting the shift rod's throw.
A cable shift would have prevented my issue.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I also did the dirt track shifter with my C4 conversion but I am about to get rid of it. I dont like the hole for the shift rod in my floor and I cant install a center console because the shifter next to the seat.
I also had an issue wheeling last weekend. I could not get into park when I was facing downhill. The body was tweeking and impacting the shift rod's throw.
A cable shift would have prevented my issue.

What cable shifter are you going with?

JohnJohn

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I am installing an original auto column shifter I got from a 77. I like the original shifter and it frees up the floor area for other items.
The dirt track shifter worked but it was kind of a temporary set up.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I've got an auto column in my '74 now. I'd need to track down the shift lever and the rest of the linkage.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Ok, so I'm considering just using my factory auto column.

All I have is the column, which appears to be intact, within the column. Still have the "shift ears."

Is this going to be an impossible task to find the rest of the linkage? Cheaper to just go Winters?

JohnJohn

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I just looked and i bet the Bronco graveyard has what you need to finish your column.
I am about to rebuild mine but all I need is need bearing and some spray paint.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When I was looking for shifter rod and down shift tube Randy at Driven had the used parts I needed. You will also want a carburetor with the down shift lever.
Dipstick tube and dipstick. Bronco c-4 pan and filter extension tube and a Bronco type filter.