• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed POP: what to check ?

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
So my son moving ‘66 roadster when heard loud pop, and then nothing in forward or revers gears. I checked external possibilities, linkages, transfer case in gear, etc. Thinking shaft or pressure plate. Anything I should I check before dropping trans ? Thanks

elan

Loc.
s
This sounds like what happened to me in 1966. V8 installed in a Jeep and dumping the clutch. The ring gear didn't respond well. Yes, do Jedblakes suggestion.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks. I’ve got it on the lift so can easily check rear end. I had driven Bronk to lake house for 4th festivities, and adult son moved while parked on a slope. My experience with Gen Xers and clutches has not been good.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You can look under it and see if the driveshaft is spinning but no go at the rear. You can also try locking in the front end. Also maybe high and low on the t-case. Especially if it's a twin stick.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..Did it happen to be LOCKED inTO 4X4 When he moved it.

One of mine stripped the spline shaft. So I could see the shaft turning but not being able to spin the spline forward ..
... Or the rear main shaft inside the T/case... that supposed to be the weakest link in our Broncos.
... I don't think it's in the clutch area .. It's noisy when it goes south.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd just get another T/Case from some member on here. Someone can fix you up & It's easier to just swap out the whole thing rather than taking yours apart & fixing it.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Hey Pa. I hate to admit that I have been in woodshop and not car shop. My Wife called in some “weak moment” promises. Finishing up cypress Bahamas shutters, on to bedsteads! I know. Embarrassing but what can u do.

Attachments

• CD2AECFB-AD9C-4FA2-93D5-C4B98BC734B8.jpg
    CD2AECFB-AD9C-4FA2-93D5-C4B98BC734B8.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 23

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Hey We all understand. Same thing here today . My wife is pushing 70 also like I am. Her town Job is a special Nurse with 35 years of very dedicated service to her Dr's. She's under a mountain of stress 9 hours a day. So I really try not to jack with her because .. Back when I worked for Chrysler .. I had a heart attack after 7 years of stress.. I was lucky enough to get out of that B/S.bUT i SURE DON'T MAKE THE MONEY NOW A DAYS .
so Just today I'D PLANNED TO go get a Jeep ZJ that's been in a shop about 30 miles away. Tech has gotten tired of working on it . SO I told him I'll just come get it & make a new list so you'll what your working on. So I get my neighbor to haul me over there after work today.
......... BUT WIFE CALLS & IN a storm at her work .. She says I ''me & her'' have got to go to another town after work today & look at a house she owns .. Tenants have just up & moved out with out a word. Damn Yes Dear .. I can squeeze that in. . Outside yard has about 10 pickup loads of shit in the yard . Inside the house was what you expect to see. After they've lived in it for 20 years .
We can't believe they just up & moved, with out a word.
SO Those Yes Dear monuments. We all understand.
... & She doesn't understand .. I work 46 hours a week +r- . & THEN I HAVE THIS BIG FARM I run cows on & build Fence & & Product the crops .
& She just can't grasp this Hot Rod / Classic cars .. Trucks.. & Classic Tractors world I live in. I get in at 9pm average at night. & The house, yard, boy, step & fetch it hired hand. I dropped another spoon in the garbage disposable. Get it out. or replace the dispose all . .. Yes Mamm.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I guess I've had one that .. Let out a big pop & the T/C had popped out of gear . It wouldn't go anywhere BUT IT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS IN GEAR. But it was in neutral in the T/C. THAT CAN TRICK A KID.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Finally tore into U13, dropped trans/transfer case, pulled bell and clutch literally fell out. Disc looks the original 9”, flywheel had chipped teeth. Hoping for quick fix I drove to local Ford place, and was told parts computers only go back to 1980. So crossed street to NAPA, and gave them old NAPA parts # for LUK clutch kit. Kid said not shown on computer, but he did call their distributor who advised not available. So got kit over night from OReilly, which I’m sure is Chinese crap. Maybe I’ll luck into a Vietnam Made kit. I have been enjoying the U13 and have not started “restoration”, so not to upset about putting in this kit. I’m anxious to get off lift so can start on off road build I just got back from paint. Thanks for help and suggestions.