• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 Speed tranny

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lots of differences.
Gearing, case, tailshaft all come to mind. Even the shift linkages are different due to relocation.

Not to long ago someone was looking at swaping gear sets between the 2 transmissions, they were different enough that it didn't happen. They really are 2 different transmissions.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure if the differences were all about the engine, about the year, or a mixture of both.
From what I remember there were at least two or three different models found on EB's.
Designated RAT, RAN and RUG (I think?). (edit: ) Maybe even a HEF?
Some of the (early?) models had a drain plug, while others (later or V8?) got rid of the drain plug and simply used the lower rear attaching bolt as the drain.

And I know this is not scientific, and I have not had the two together, but I was sure that the ones I've seen with drain plugs just looked slightly smaller. Or at least less robust.

I've had two different versions in my '71, where everything externally was the same, but the first and second gear ratios were completely different.
Almost like one was for a car, and one for a truck. First gear was that much taller.
I loved the close-ratio spacing between 1st and 2nd, but first was so useless for getting a heavy truck rolling (especially off road and even in low-range) that I finally swapped back.

Paul

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As was said there are gearing differances the 6cyl version has slightly lower gearing 3.41-1 vs the V8 2.99-1. Basically the smaller 6cyl engine just doesnt have the power to move the bronco as easily so it needs lower gearing. Then comes output shaft lenghts 6cyl has a shorter one and shorter adapter due to the engine sitting farther back than the V8 version.
Along those lines the 6cyl version is considered to be a lot weaker than the V8 version.
If you try swapping them you run into crossmemeber location and maybe drive shaft lenght issues. So they really dont swap unless your swapping engines at the same time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As was said there are gearing differances the 6cyl version has slightly lower gearing 3.41-1 vs the V8 2.99-1. Basically the smaller 6cyl engine just doesnt have the power to move the bronco as easily so it needs lower gearing. Then comes output shaft lenghts 6cyl has a shorter one and shorter adapter due to the engine sitting farther back than the V8 version.
Along those lines the 6cyl version is considered to be a lot weaker than the V8 version.
If you try swapping them you run into crossmemeber location and maybe drive shaft lenght issues. So they really dont swap unless your swapping engines at the same time.

Very good.
But should add that if swapping I6 and V8 you should swap transmissions at the same time as well.