• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

300 c.i. inline six

broke_okie

I want to put a 300 c.i. inline six in my 71 EB. Has anyone on here done it? I was wondering if the 200 c.i. inline six motor mounts will work and if there are any clearance issues stuff like that. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
It is not an easy swap. many modifications. The 300 is longer causing issues with radiator clearance and you will also have to modify the frame mounts and the front crossmember.
Here are my 2 threads. It was alot of work, many hours trying to think of everything, But would I do it again? In a New York minute!
The chassis
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97476

And the rest Some pictures are unavailable right now as someone has linked to way to many pictures, they should be back up in a week or two.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155542

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You'll have to notch the front crossmember in the frame to get it to fit. Very tight on the firewall, but there was a build thread here a couple of years ago where someone said starting with an original 6-cyl Bronco would help with the firewall issue.

If you use the search feature, a couple of threads worth reading should pop up.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
To me there is nothing like a good 300 cid. It's a shame our Bronco don't have about 4 more inches in the motor compartment. As was said there was a good swap going on about 2 years ago .. Search is a dirty word to me but It's out there somewhere.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
We could just cut to the chase.

Attachments

• 300 install 1.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 102
  • 300 install 2.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 56

bmbm

300 six

The 300 is a great motor.
You may want to look into the 250, an easy swap and has a lot of torque plus you can use any sbf trans. Check out fordsix.com for ford six cylinder performance parts and general info.

slow91fj90

Loc.
Centreville, VA
I have a really nice built 300 six I am gonna sell. It has serpentine setup and is a torque monster. This thing is ready to drop in and roll. Let me know if your interested. Im gonna let it go cheap;D

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
A jeep 258 is a great engine also builtone years ago after dyno had 303 ftlbs torque and 153 horse was perfect everything it was my daily driver and i wheeled it hard every weekend

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Boy that would be a new twist a jeep motor in an Classic Bronco..
...... Take that to a hill climb and get Booed by both sides.

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
yea i know im a ford man myself but the 258 is a great motor not a 300 but still tuff has to be a better swap then the guy i met last year running a chevy 305

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My brother had an I6 in a '78 F-150. It's a great motor and is capable of much torque and fuel economy too. I realize that there are some owners that would tackle any mod but that is a moose of a motor to and a lot of work. I can see why Ford didn't use it. The added weight alone curbs my interest for a Bronco retrofit.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
My brother had an I6 in a '78 F-150. It's a great motor and is capable of much torque and fuel economy too. I realize that there are some owners that would tackle any mod but that is a moose of a motor to and a lot of work. I can see why Ford didn't use it. The added weight alone curbs my interest for a Bronco retrofit.

Actually weighs within 8 pounds of a 302, And the 300 was never known for fuel economy, I am getting around 17 highway.