• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 - 351

cvbfireman

so my 351 bored 30 over stroked & balanced engine is being put together as we speak kinda a cool story i had a 66 mustang with huge plans and ended up selling it to my buddy... he called me the other day and said hey i heard you got a bronco... remember that 351 i bought for the mustang well its way to much power... if i give it to you will you give me your 302....;D;D;D

Yes so anyways all the machine work was already done just needed to be assembled ....

so to my ????? what am i looking at here can i use a bunch of the stuff off of the 302?? carb, intake, alternator? stuff like that or am i going to have to buy all new stuff for it?

when i got the bronco it came with loads and loads and loads of stuff pretty much enough to build a 2nd bronco... including a 351 c4 and dana 20 transfer... it also had some new engine mounts in a box that said 351 so are those different?

any input would be greatly appreciated

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You can use the timing cover, water pump, flexlplate, balancer and carb. You can also use the accessories and pulley's if you get the conversion brackets. but you will need a 351W oil pan(dual sump for a 4x4) and intake manifold. other than that is pretty much a bolt in deal. motor mounts for the 302/351 are the same so they should work as well. 351W's are about 1in taller and slightly wider so the 302 exhuast wont bolt up without mods also hood clearance can be a issue with some intake and carberator combos.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You shouldnt need different headers but you may have to tweak them a little if they hit on the frame. Usually you can just take a lenght of 2x4 and pry them to get required clearance if needed. just make sure they are bolted up tight and some people run the engine awhile to get them heated up to help with the bending.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Cvbfireman, not to be a bummer at all but, if you are asking these questions, again no offense intended, but you are going to always need more things, time, and money than planned. Besides loosing interest in a project that will test your ability is too easy to do. I mean you can't learn if you don't try, however building your own 302 a little maybe starting simple and learning and as you go think about changes. Maybe I am wrong on your skill level to even start these remarks, I learned by tackling a deep project and I ended up do it professionally for almost twenty years. I encourage you to take it on, just be well aware of the time and frustration the learning curve has. Peace out.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I was spending time this week on which water pump (wp) that will work for my 351W. On early 70s mustangs and Torinos they dumps on drivers side. You will need to plumb it under if you have a stock eb radiator. Or you can get a wp that dumps on passenger side. Make sure you have a good readable harmonic balancer for timing. Good luck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Get a water pump for an early Bronco, they work just fine on a 351W
If you use the timing cover and balancer as well you will also have timing marks that work.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

Cvbfireman, not to be a bummer at all but, if you are asking these questions, again no offense intended, but you are going to always need more things, time, and money than planned. Besides loosing interest in a project that will test your ability is too easy to do. I mean you can't learn if you don't try, however building your own 302 a little maybe starting simple and learning and as you go think about changes. Maybe I am wrong on your skill level to even start these remarks, I learned by tackling a deep project and I ended up do it professionally for almost twenty years. I encourage you to take it on, just be well aware of the time and frustration the learning curve has. Peace out.

thanks for your concern but i am more than capable of putting a engine in a bronco. just trying to get some tips since i have not upgraded to a 351 dont know what works and doesnt.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Make sure that the harmonic ballancer and the flex plate are the correct balance for the 351. People here assum that because you said you had a 302 that it has the 302 balance, not the 5.0 balance. Just make sure because it sucks to have to take that crap back apart for something you could have easily researched prior to assembly.

Find some pics of the 2 different balances for the flex plate, it can be easily identified from the size of the weight.