• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 ho rocker arm set up

triracer67

Contributor
I installed new rocker arms on my rebuilt HO
motor and need help adjusting. Any recommendations?

baddad457

What heads are you running ? If they're the stockers, then torque the bolts to 25 ft/lbs and forget about em. There is no adjustment, unless you want to start shimming. 90% of the time, even that's not necessary.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What heads? What rockers?
As stated from Ford they are non-adjustable. Bolt down and forget. Works fine unless you start getting into aftermarket parts and/or bad machine work on stock heads. At that point you usually get over or under sized pushrods to adjust the preload on the lifters. I have had 1 engine that was fussy about 1 pushrod length ever. That was a random pile of parts engine build as well.

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
Engine is stock HO crate motor, stock heads and rocker arms. I've read
In a few places they have you go TDC and adjust a few, than rotate 360 and adjust a few, than go ninety and finish off. Just trying to get this right. Having an ho motor is a pain.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
In a few places they have you go TDC and adjust a few, than rotate 360 and adjust a few, than go ninety and finish off. Just trying to get this right. Having an ho motor is a pain.

That adjustment procedure isn't for the positive stop rocker arms that you have. It's for the earlier type arms. Just torque them down like mentioned above, you'll be good to go.

Mark

baddad457

That adjustment procedure isn't for the positive stop rocker arms that you have. It's for the earlier type arms. Just torque them down like mentioned above, you'll be good to go.

Mark

X 2 on this, no need to do all that, the end result is the same.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

Just a recommended procedure. It works if your really anal but as has been said no big deal just torque them down.