• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 improvments 4 $500.00

76rustomatic

Loc.
Reno
I would like to pep up my motor only have 500 to spend. 500 will be the max i can spend includine plugs ,wire,cap. its a stock 302 miles unknown. what would be the best mods. will be doing a rebulid in about 1.5. and if posible transfer the parts 2 new motor. It will be a strocker. thanks

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
buy a gallon of nitro, use very sparingly.
just kidding.

a good tune up & carb rebuild.

my question is: why put money into a tired motor? you'll really just have a tired motor with some new parts. the pistons, valves, carb, dist make the power for the most part.if they are tired, you can't revive them all for 500.
the rest of the bolt on goodies are pretty insignificant in the big picture.
save your money towards your stroker package.

just my .02
nick

peterinman

Loc.
East Jordan, MI
I was just going to put new seals and gaskets in my motor this winter and by the time I was done I ended up spending $500. It needed new bearings and oil pump along with other misc parts and I couldn't believe how fast I spent the money. Here is the kicker, I drove the rig 2.5 hours to go on my years frist trail ride and when I got home it started rod knocking and I need to start over and get a new motor ready and I have already spent all my money. So, I'm not sure that you will get it all for 500 bones.

antnykk

Loc.
Northern New Jersey
1.Make sure your brakes are tip top first. Lines, shoes/pads, etc.

2. Make sure your getting good fuel. Lines often rust, tanks leak and rust, etc.

3. Tires

Ok, ok, I'll skip the basic, getting the mechanical stuff first and skip to the fun stuff. Work the heads. Even better, save some more for some aftermarket heads.

I am assuming you already have exhuast. Got to make it sound good. ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
1 Find a shop that will recurve the advance in your Distributer to make sure its all in by 3000 RPM cost about $20 or so and can yield more HP alone than some of the other mods

2. Headers probably the next best bang for the buck and they really help any other mods live up to there full potential Cost $200 or less as long as you know someone with a welder to reconnect the rest of your exhaust system. If not they'll cost more.

2. RV cam cost less than $200 but its a good idea to put on a new timing chain at the same time so figure a little more. If your timing chain has over 80,000 miles or is the stock chain just a chain replacement can wake it up as some 302's had retarded gear sets installed at the factory for emissions.

3. 4V intake and carb depends on how lucky you get and exactly what you want you can pick up stock cast iron intakes pretty cheap but they're not as good as the aftermarket ones but they are better than the 2v ones Costs new stuff $350+. Cost of used stuff way less possibly under $100.

Thats pretty much the order I would do things in although you could swap the Cam and 4V around. or just do whatever your cash flow allows.

71 BRNCO

I went through the same question before I rebuilt my motor. I decided to do a mild rv cam w/lifters, then did an edelbrock alum. intake, and nice four barrell carb. Very nice improvement. Like stated, headers will allow the most potential for future upgrades. they are on my wish list
kyle

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If 500.00 is it then I would say pull the motor put in new bearings , HV oil pump , RV cam( erson #15) , 4V and you will have done your 500.00 but the motor should last a wile good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: :p :D