• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Manual Radiator Replacement

tonytony9

Contributor
Apologies for a secondary post, I have been discussing with a few members replacing the water pump, thermostat, radiator...and the timing chain. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...302-radiator-replacement.323543/#post-3542205

Today I am tackling the radiator/thermostat. I want to flush the system as well. Any how to How-To Threads, I was not able to locate.

PO supplied this radiator: https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-3-core-aluminum-radiator

I plan to buy the following at an autoparts store:
1. 192-195 F thermostat, will check on the stove.
2. Housing Gasket
3. RTV to apply to the thermostat (when attaching to the housing) and to apply to the gasket for the housing/intake.
4. Radiator Cap

I plan to use the existing brackets, any parts I am not thinking of or missing?

4xfun

Make sure that your heater is on and is working. Test this before you start replacing radiator. You have a valve on the heater hose that allows water to flow to the heater core. You need to flush the heater core along with the block.

Prestone makes a flush and fill kit where you add a tee into a heater hose line and then you can add water to flush you system with a water hose. Buy some extra heater hose and just add the new hose between the block and prestone tee. Look at the condition of your existing heater hoses. You also need to consider replacing your hoses that connect to the radiator. It is easier to replace them now and know you have good hoses. Take the tee out when you get finished flushing the system.

I have had good luck without RTV, but I usually buy a felpro gasket. RTV will help if there is some pitting in the surfaces. apply lightly and don't fill the radiator up until the curing time is up.

For the last couple of years I have been using Spill-Free Funnel. It helps work out any air in the system.