• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 mustang motor swap?? help me out???

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
hey guys, i bought a low mileage 302 today out of a 92 muxtang. it came with all the fuel injection stuff and an aod auto tranny bolted to it. i was wondering if i can buy an adapter to use that tranny, and if so, what else would i need? what would i do about a shifter? i'd like to use the auto and just buy a b&m floor shifter. my truck is now a 289 3 spd on the column. if i cant use the tranny, i will just put a fresh clutch in mine and go with that.if i got that route, what do i need besides a flywheel? the guy i bought it from told me i could use the 289 flywheel, but i would think i should get one that is made for that motor/harmonic balancer setup. please help me out guys 0i'm anxius to get all the parts i need. by the way, i paid 300.00 for everything. if i cant use the tranny, i am figuring i will try to sell it for a couple hundred. thanks as always for the help.

honkey84

Loc.
ILL
Yes you can use the AOD. Wildhorses or BC should have all the adapters to put it into your rig. You can also use whatever floor shifter you want, just depends on what you want. Flywheel and some other items such as a trans cooler or different radiator for the cooling lines. Other than that I thinks that should cover it.....

westco

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR
honkey84 said:
Yes you can use the AOD. Wildhorses or BC should have all the adapters to put it into your rig. You can also use whatever floor shifter you want, just depends on what you want. Flywheel and some other items such as a trans cooler or different radiator for the cooling lines. Other than that I thinks that should cover it.....

All sounds right on the money. Here a great site if you need wiring info. http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=1

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The adaptor is from advanced adaptors. It requires completely gutting the transmission to replace the output shaft. So be prepared to spend some time and money at your local tranny shop having it done.

As with all the other late model 5.0/302 swaps, keep the balancer and flexplate with the engine. It is different then the early balancer that is on the old bronco engine (both in balance and in bolt pattern)

OP
OP
F

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
so if i keep my 3 spd manual tranny, i need to buy a fly wheel, right? the new motor has an auto on it so i need to buy a flywheel that will match up with the balancer on the new motor -correct? other than that, i guess there is just some bushing or bearing i need. i can put a new clutch in it and go. i would have liked to run the auto, but not at the expense of gutting it etc. besides, it will probably be more fun with the stick anyway.