• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 pan clearence for high volume oil pump

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Ill talk with the builder about the highvolume pump and why he wants to use it,or can we just use a stock pump with his motor.THANKS bronconut73 and KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Stock pump is more than adequate - cold I get 55-60psi on idle and hot I'm around 45psi at idle...

You want at least 10psi per 1K RPM - its easy to want to put race parts on an engine, but the oil pump is where it isn't needed for us.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Im going to use the old pan,and jbweld to seal it.So Desert Dweller and NYLES did you still use a gasket or just the jbweld?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
My father put nuts and bolts through the holes and used RTV to seal it up. Been problem free for 5 years on his 400.

justjoe1

I have been running a melling high volume pump in my 289 for the last 13 years with no problems, and it is in my 71 bronco with the stock oil pan. it does not put out excessive pressure. I have run them in several 289 and 302engines, and never had pan clearance issues, but if you are going to run a high volume pump replace the oil pump drive with the ford motorsport oil pump drive shaft. I twisted a stock shaft in my drag car (was the first motor I ever built) found it when I went to do a cam swap and it had about 1 1/2 twists in it, luckily it had not snapped, now I use the upgraded shaft in all my engines.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock pump is good if the rebuild has good tolerances.
I have also brazed the dipstick adaptor to the oil pan. No worries about chemicals aging or deteriorating over time.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I just finished the pan JB and grade 8 1/4 28 bolts and crimped nuts.I all so JB the nuts after I cut off the extra threads.

Attachments

• jb weld oil pan 001.jpg
    jb weld oil pan 001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 9
  • jb weld oil pan 003.jpg
    jb weld oil pan 003.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg