• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Throttle Body a Good Swap?

Snowblind

Loc.
Petawawa, On
I was looking for a 351W for my truck when I came across a fresh 302 TB EFI from a '90 F150. I know most guys put in the 302 HO from a Mustang so is this the same (except the heads) or does it matter. I can always swap the heads but I was wondering more about the clearance for the hood, front cross member and the wiring nightmare as well as the overall rep of this engince. Most of my driving is daily on paved roads with a little off road (no rock crawling).

Any advice would be great,

Thanks,

Snowblind

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am getting a little confused here. Ford did make some throttle body stuff (looks like a carb but has 2 injectors insetead of venturies) back in the mid 80's in cars.

You are asking about an engine in a '90 truck. That truck engine should be a port injected, batch fired system that has a remote air filter fed by twin air tubes.

If you do in fact have a '90 truck with a throttle body, close the hood and quietly walk away. Some butchery has occured and you don't want anything to do with it.

My guess is that you are looking at a stock '90 and are refering to the injection with the wrong terminology. If that is the case, yes the motor can work. But there are issues to address before you start. The intake is tall, don't count on the hood closing. With a 302 and a 3" body lift, then it might. Conversion to a Mustang style intake will help the hood close, but that changes the flow charistics of the motor, the speed density computer may not be happy with this. Continue to roll the snowball down hill from here.

Now if you want to just grab the motor and drop on your old carb and go, that can work too. Still have the same pitfalls with matching engine balance, timing marks, clutch linkage hole, etc. that you would encounter with a stang 5.0

OP
OP
S

Snowblind

Loc.
Petawawa, On
Thanks, I'm off to see the truck in a bit so my buddy most likely gave me the wrong info about the FI. I'll know more in a few hours. Supposedly the guy who owns the truck is a mechanic and the truck was just written off by the insurance company so he bought it back but only wants the box.

I prefer to keep everything together to avoid all the unknows of trying to match different components together. As for hood clearance, I'll measure things and maybe all I'll need would be a scoop.

More to follow.

SB

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
With a 5.0 EFI truck engine you might fit with a 3" body lift AND a hood scoop. With a 5.8 it takes a 3" body lift and a custom built scoop (My intake is around 4" above the hood line) as none of the aftermarket EB ones will fit. (There would need to be over 4" of difference in block heights, which there isn't, to fit with just a body lift) You can see how high the scoop needs to be with a 3" body lift for 5.8 EFI in my gallery.