• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

31 spline sm bearing axle shafts?

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
My buddy has an EB 9" under his Ranger and recently broke an axleshaft. He wants to upgrade to 31 spline axles and wants to shop around a bit. He wheels it pretty hard (ARB Front and Rear). I know that Moser makes some 31 spline axles for the small bearing but I haven't heard if Superior or Yukon or any other well known axle manufacturer makes 31 spline axles for the small bearing EB application. Does anyone on here have some decent 31 spline small bearing axleshafts from anyone other than Moser?

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I think both the 28 and 31 spline axles have the same dia. for the bearing meaning both bearings share the same ID. I could be wrong.

OP
OP
vuke

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
Yes. You can buy 31 spline sm bearing axles. What my question is ... is who sells them besides moser and the bronco shops? Does Yukon or Superior or any other well known manufacturer make high quality 31 spline sm bearing axles?

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
vuke said:
Yes. You can buy 31 spline sm bearing axles. What my question is ... is who sells them besides moser and the bronco shops? Does Yukon or Superior or any other well known manufacturer make high quality 31 spline sm bearing axles?

Oops. Thats what I get for reading in a hurry at lunch time.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bronco73 said:
I think both the 28 and 31 spline axles have the same dia. for the bearing meaning both bearings share the same ID. I could be wrong.
The bearing ID is quite a bit bigger on the 31 spline.

I'm not sure but I think the 31 spline axles that are made to fit the small bearing housing just have a special bearing on them that has the 31 spline ID and the small bearing OD.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I've heard of these bearings before. I was told that they were a conversion bearing. It has the ID of the 31 axle but the OD of the small bearing. I've had no luck finding a part # for them, though. I know JBG sells the axles with the bearings, but not the bearings alone.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I've got 31sp in my SB...It's a conversion bearing.Dutchman sells them(35.00 each).I got my axles from Toms.No problems so far and the bearings are holding up fine....granted I'm not doing any hardcore wheeling.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Why are you ruling out Moser shafts? They had problems for a while with front shafts, but have always had great rear shafts. I've been running Moser 31 spline shafts in my rear SB for several years now without any problems or breakage, and I wheel mine real hard rock crawling.

OP
OP
vuke

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
Personally I'm not ruling them out... I have a pair of 31 spline Mosers in my garage I'm putting in this weekend.... My buddy just wanted to check his options. I'm glad you haven't had any problems wheeling "hard" on your Mosers, I only plan on running 35's with a rear locker. I guess I wont have any problems.

66horse

Bronco Guru
So question on this conversion bearing.

Does this mean that I could buy 31 splines for my SB 9" right now and then if I went to large bearing 9" housing, I could just get a new bearing for my 31 spline axles and use them in the big bearing housing?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
66horse said:
So question on this conversion bearing.

Does this mean that I could buy 31 splines for my SB 9" right now and then if I went to large bearing 9" housing, I could just get a new bearing for my 31 spline axles and use them in the big bearing housing?

Am I understanding this correctly?
In a word, yes. :cool:

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
I have 31 spline Yukon shafts in a medium bearing housing (74) with 35s and locker they are holding up great so far. These also use a conversion berring. I cant remember who I ordered them through, but thy had small bearing as well.

BigE

Loc.
Richmond
small bearing axles are not the same length as big bearing axles because of differnent size breaks are used. A small bearing rear can use 31 spline axle with straight roller bearing, not the stronger tapered roller bearing.

Lengths:

66-75 BRONCO 11" X 1 3/4" BRAKES: R.H .29.25" L.H.26.94"

74-75 BRONCO 10" X 2 1/2" BRAKES: R.H. 29.75" L.H.27.25"

76-77 BRONCO 11" X 2 1/4" BRAKES: R.H. 29.69" L.H. 27.1"

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
My questions are:

1. Are the 31/28 spline axles the same diameter??? ( I thought the 31's were larger )

2. Do all BB housings use tapered bearings?? ( I thought some do and some you need to remove the seal to get tapered bearings to fit??)

3. So Can I get the 31 spline axles and use them in both my SM/BB housings with just changing the bearings??? ( I belive some BB axles use Non-tapered bearings.)

Aaron

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
BigE said:
small bearing axles are not the same length as big bearing axles because of differnent size breaks are used. A small bearing rear can use 31 spline axle with straight roller bearing, not the stronger tapered roller bearing.

Lengths:

66-75 BRONCO 11" X 1 3/4" BRAKES: R.H .29.25" L.H.26.94"

74-75 BRONCO 10" X 2 1/2" BRAKES: R.H. 29.75" L.H.27.25"

76-77 BRONCO 11" X 2 1/4" BRAKES: R.H. 29.69" L.H. 27.1"
Backspacing is an even bigger problem than the lengths. The backspacing is critical for the brakes to line up right.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Daddy4zack said:
My questions are:

1. Are the 31/28 spline axles the same diameter??? ( I thought the 31's were larger )

2. Do all BB housings use tapered bearings?? ( I thought some do and some you need to remove the seal to get tapered bearings to fit??)

3. So Can I get the 31 spline axles and use them in both my SM/BB housings with just changing the bearings??? ( I belive some BB axles use Non-tapered bearings.)

Aaron
1: No they are not the same diameter. The 31 spline are quite a bit larger.
2: No. Either bearing can be used however I think most if not all used a sealed roller bearing stock. To use the tapered bearing the seal in the housing needs to be removed.
3: Not sure how they do the seals on the conversion bearings. The side gears in the carrier also need to be changed.

For those that are considering this it may be worth noting that you are beefing up the axle and in exchange for doing so you are running an even weaker bearing than the small bearing housing uses. (Larger ID with same OD equals smaller rollers and or thinner races) If you search the site here you can find a number of people that have had the stock bearings fail on the highway and then the axle walks out. I know some people have used them without problem but I personally don't like sacrificing strength in one area to beef it up elsewhere. (I would rather an axle break than have it walk out going down the highway)

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
SaddleUp said:
1: No they are not the same diameter. The 31 spline are quite a bit larger.
2: No. Either bearing can be used however I think most if not all used a sealed roller bearing stock. To use the tapered bearing the seal in the housing needs to be removed.
3: Not sure how they do the seals on the conversion bearings. The side gears in the carrier also need to be changed.

For those that are considering this it may be worth noting that you are beefing up the axle and in exchange for doing so you are running an even weaker bearing than the small bearing housing uses. (Larger ID with same OD equals smaller rollers and or thinner races) If you search the site here you can find a number of people that have had the stock bearings fail on the highway and then the axle walks out. I know some people have used them without problem but I personally don't like sacrificing strength in one area to beef it up elsewhere. (I would rather an axle break than have it walk out going down the highway)

Thanks..

Aaron