• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

31" tires with 4.56 gears, what trans?

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
I'm reverse engineering this project for next years SuperCel.

Okay I may have found a truck for Panda- 74' six cyl 3 on tree, factory 4.56 gears!

Is there an auto trans that will let this thing cruise at 65mph with a 31" tire without turning 3500rpms?

Discuss!

L.R. ;D

EDIT: we are NOT keeping the 6cyl- it's getting swapped for a 302!

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm curious here too. I've got a 66' with 3 on the tree, a 200 6cyl and 4.56. It's only got 225/75/15 on it now and it is completely wound up/screaming at at 50mph lol.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You want auto, with overdrive. That is a fairly small window.
I can't think of anything that will bolt to THAT engine, bellhousing.
If you did a V8 swap...
or a later I6 that uses the V8 bellhousing bolt pattern. That would let you slip in a 4R70W without much issue.

No matter what you will be pushing for a short rear driveshaft. Since the tire size is small enough I bet it isn't lifted. Which will help. That rear driveshaft will be about 6" shorter (3" due to running a V8 length transmission over an I6 + 3" since the overdrive is about 3" longer than a V8 length transmission). Don't plan on a lift.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could build an AOD with beefed internals if you wanted to avoid the electronic shift controller need with the 4r70w, otherwise I'd go 4r70w myself for the added level of control. The AOD is a .67:1 OD ratio IIRC (~2300 RPM @ 70 MPH), versus .70:1 for the 4r70w (~2400 RPM @ 70 MPH) with 31" tires and 4.56 gears.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you are using Explorer based EFI then the 4R70W.

If you are not using Explorer based EFI then the AOD (possibly rebuilt with 4R70W internal parts) makes more sense.

The PCM for the EFI also controls the 4R70W.

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
Sounds to me like AOD is why I am looking for then. No electronics, can be built to handle hp and torque, and it can bolt on!

2k sound reasonable for a new built trans shipped to me?

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
AOD from full size bronco (this will have the right 4x4 output shaft and adapter) NP205 bolts right up.
1985-'90 Bronco with 5.0 V-8 engines
G

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds to me like AOD is why I am looking for then. No electronics, can be built to handle hp and torque, and it can bolt on!

2k sound reasonable for a new built trans shipped to me?

4R70W can get you a better transmission for less money when all said and done. Stand alone controller is capable of working with EFI or carb applications. The selectable lockup convertor gives half gear steps that makes it so much more drivable.

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
575 for the basic trans controller plus the cost of a trans, that's no deal to me. Recommendations on a shop to buy the correct well built AOD trans?

L.R.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If your plan to use the D20 you need the adapter and output shaft before you rebuild your transmission. That's going to be around $600 regardless of what transmission you use. The AOD gets dogged on quite a bit here, but it is still a good viable transmission. Keep an eye out in the classifieds for one that already has the adapter bolted to it. They turn up a few times a year.

Does this Bronco have the D30?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
575 for the basic trans controller plus the cost of a trans, that's no deal to me. Recommendations on a shop to buy the correct well built AOD trans?

L.R.

$425 for the controller.
$150 if you can't splice wires and buy the harness from them as well.

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
^ yes, that's how I came up with the 575 number. New build, new parts. I dislike wiring, if you would be interested i'd be glad to have you stay with us for a while if your willing to lend a hand. Disney world is an hour and 20 minutes away.

L.R.