• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35" tires & uncut front fenders

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I found a good price on 35" MTR's and a buyer for my 33x10.5 BFG AT pizza cutters, could get them on and mounted before my upcoming holiday road trip. They'd be going on 8" rims. I've got a 4 1/2" suspension lift and 1" body lift, but uncut front fenders (rears are cut). Anyone know how badly I'd grind the front tires with this setup? I'm going to do front flares but not till after the 1st. I have bobbed the inside front corners.<br><br>TIA,<br>Lars

broncodan1

?:?<br>It could be risky,I've got 33s,3 1/2 suspention and a<br>2" body lift, and I hit both fenders several times!<br>I'd just be a little careful til you get your fenders cut! <br><br>

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
I have 35" mtr's with 4 inches of lift and the only part I ever rubbed on was the bottom of the fender where it attaches to the grill. Cut that piece off and no more rubbing. Then again I have a stiff a$$ rancho lift, which doesn't allow my front to flex that much anyway.

sheneeda

Loc.
Surrey   B.C.
I used 35" AT's with just a 3-1/2" lift. I did bend and cut the inner metal some , be sure to reset your steering stops to keep them from hitting the radius arms :)

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Cool, thanks for the input. I don't expect it to be rub-free, just hoping that I can drive down the road and steer the thing for a couple of weeks without the rubber sawing on the fenders :eek: I was surprised at how far in I could have my steering stops cranked in without hitting the radius arms even with my 33's. If I lose a little turning radius to the 35's I can live with that. Any problems with rubbing the rear edge of the fenderwells, etc?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I rub the inner fender quit a bit at flex, but I have a 3.5 susp and 37s :eek: :eek: :eek:<br><br>If it rubs, get the sawzall.!!

Addink

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I just did something similar with my setup. I got the 35's (on 10" wheels) installed before I cut the front fenders. I have a 2.5" suspension lift and 2" body lift, with bobbed front fenders and trimmed rocker panels. It didn't rub, but it was darn close. The closest point was behind the tire, both the outer sheet metal and the inner fender (the outboard edge of the wheel well). I probably only had about 2" of clearance. It worked driving around town until I could cut the fenders, but a minimal amount of flexing would have torn stuff up.

Re turning radius... I went from 32's on 8" rims to 35's on 10 inch rims with 3.5" backspacing. My turning radius actually got noticeably better, and I now have no rubbing on the radius arms (the 32's did rub slightly).

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks, Jason. I'm going to find out what rubs in a couple of days- I just ordered the tires. Merry Christmas to me... If all goes well they go on Friday, then Saturday I hit the road to SoCal. After reading all the rave reviews on the MTR's I'm looking forward to this. If I have problems with the rear part of the inner fender I should be able to find the tools to make that go away when I'm not lounging on the beach ;D

Addink

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Those inner fenders got me a new jigsaw ;D The sawzall was too big to get in there and cut them... "Honey, I need to get the jigsaw because my other saw won't fit, and if I don't cut them they will destroy my tire" ;D

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Well, I am a lucky guy- I already have a jigsaw. The best part is the story behind it. My wife wanted me to make some Christmas ornaments one year. "But", I complained, "I don't have a saw!" She told me to go get one quick so I could get started. Seeing the silver lining in that cloud, I ran out and bought the best one I could find at the time...

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Tires are mounted. So far all I'm grinding is the radius arms- gotta adjust the steering stops- and I love 'em. The jigsaw goes with me on the road. Not as sexy as a Sawzall but it'll do a fine job on inner fenderwell sheet metal if I get in a jamb. 35" tires just look right on a lifted EB. Thanks for advice from all...

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
Re: Re:35" tires & uncut front fenders

lars said:
Tires are mounted. So far all I'm grinding is the radius arms- gotta adjust the steering stops- and I love 'em. The jigsaw goes with me on the road. Not as sexy as a Sawzall but it'll do a fine job on inner fenderwell sheet metal if I get in a jamb. 35" tires just look right on a lifted EB. Thanks for advice from all...

Pics of the 35s mounted? also to the guy with 2.5" and 35s as im about to do that to my 74!!

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
What I wanna know is how this thread got dredged up!!??

I've had the MT/R's on now since last December. After a trip over the Rubicon and 10,000 road miles, I can say they are the most street worthy off road tires I've ever had. Didn't keep me from tipping over on the Rubicon last July though :(

As for cut, lifted, etc, things have changed a bit. Especially post-Rubicon. Now equipped with Gorilla Warflares at all 4 corners, 4 1/2" spring lift plus 1" body lift. The front fenders weren't flared on the 'Con, but the tires never rubbed. I'm adding a wristed arm now, I expect I'd have had problems if I hadn't flared the fenders. Rears never rubbed the fenders, only the inner fenderwells.

I've got pics myself, plus some more here: http://www.broncofix.com/gallery/rubicon2003 You have to root around a bit to find pics of my EB, that's my dented door seen on the first Carnage pic.