• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 cleveland/ 302 fuel injected engine??

joelozano

I currently have a 351 cleveland on my 1972 Bronco, if I keep that engine could I make it fuel injected? Also what 302/ 5.0 engine could I put in it if I go this route ( year, vehicle, etc..)? Thanks, Joe.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many of them have been converted to EFI. You can even use mostly Ford EFI components. The biggest hurdle is that you need a custom intake that has had the injector bungs installed to use the stock Ford injectors and Ford or aftermarket fuel rails. You will also need an elbow adapter to mount the throttle body to the 4V carb mount on the intake.

OR you can go TBI...and bolt it right one. Howell and Holley are the two TBI options I'm most familiar with..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FAST and DFI (Accel) are two others.
I'd like to see that. Most go with a 5.0 or 5.8 Windsor based engines. It'd be fun to see another Cleveland project.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the second part of your question was about what other complete engines would work in a Bronco, pretty much any year/model Ford 5.0 (302) or 5.8 (351) would bolt right in. The simplicity or complexity of your conversion DOES depend on what model vehicle your donor is though. So, with that in mind, some of the easiest combos seem to be the Mustangs from '86 to '93, or the Cougar/T-birds from certain years (others will have to fill in that blank), the Crown Vics up to '92 or so, or the Explorer from '96 to '02.

The Cougar engine has a very nice low-profile upper that lends itself well to the Bronco hood. The '94/'95 Mustang does too, but has a different group of sensors, so the harness and ECU need to be specific to that model. The Explorer is one of the most popular, even though it does need a few tweaks too. With them, the entire engine is useable, and has the more desireable intake setup, as well as being full roller-equipped, as well as having the most desirable of all front accessory drives. The main thing you have to do with the Explorer though, is to change out the sensors (and their locations) and add a distributor and change the MAF to the more common Mustang setup. With some of the stuff now available from FordFuelInjection.com though, you can probably make it all work with just a few special requests for the design of the harness.

It's all about more reading than work. Make sure you read all about it here, then pick your poison, then have at it!
And have fun...

Paul

OP
OP
J

joelozano

I got the three on tree tranny, so basicly any 5.0 that you described above will bolt on directly?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
To put efi on a C you could also bolt on a chebby tbi unit from an '88-91 350 or 454 from a junkyard truck. Scout guys run these alot on their IH engines & I'm looking at putting one on my travelall w/ a 304.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the three on tree tranny, so basicly any 5.0 that you described above will bolt on directly?

Pretty much, yes. You might need the bellhousing for a Windsor, but from what I remember, the Cleveland (or most of them anyway) has the same bellhousing bolt pattern. So it may be a bolt-n-go proposition. There are several Cleveland experts here, so they should be able to confirm that.

I don't remember if any modifications to the factory motor mount towers on the frame were needed to mount up a Cleveland. If not, you're good to go. If there were, you'd have to put them back to stock configuration before the Windsor-based engine would bolt back in.
But that's a pretty minor mod in itself.

Just out of curiosity, are you certain it's a "Cleveland" specifically, and not a 351M instead? Many a Ford owner has mistaken one for the other over the years. But if you know your 335 series, or have documentation, or know that certain Cleveland-only parts that fit, then you're in good shape.
If you're not sure, it might not hurt to verify with a few clues that members here can describe. Such as intake manifold width, or a block feature, or something similar.

Paul

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
There's a company out there that makes a Aluminum Adapter that can mate a 351W or 351C to a 302 intake, it should work for a 302 EFI setup