• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cleveland waterpump problem

cbvocla

Hi guys Im new here .
My name is Craig.I have a problem with my waterpump on a 72 351 cleveland i installed 6 months ago the pump wasnt leaking but it was old I thought to change it to a high flow pump because its a proformance engine. First off a bolt broke off but I got that problem taken care of. The big problem is there was water leaking in the oil I think it might be dripping through the timing plate so I drained the oil and removed the pump I have a new gasket for the pump and timing plate. I never had this much trouble changing a water pump. Has anyone changed a pump on a cleveland before that could help me.

Thanks.

OP
OP
C

cbvocla

ohh and just to get things staight the water didnt start leaking in the oil untell after I changed the pump.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
do you have a plate on the back of the water pump?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Can you post a picture ? I found the water pump on my Cleveland to be easier than changing a Windsor pump.

OP
OP
C

cbvocla

There was no plate with the new pump. And the old one didn't have one either seems it just mounted up on the timing plate im guessing. I never changed one on a Cleveland before. Ill try and post some pictures tomorrow if its not raining.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Uh yeah you need a plate on the waterpump.

OP
OP
C

cbvocla

are you sure there is a plate on the Cleveland? I know the winsor has one. But I heard the Cleveland doesn't.