• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 cooling problems dies at 190

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
I already added an electric fuel pump.Today I was able to get her to idel for around 30 min without issue. As soon as I put it in gear it died. I was able to start it and run it around with no problem. I also adjusted the carb so that there was no white smoke and it seems to run much better. Question: could a richer carb setting help the enging run cooler?

OP
OP
P

Pdaddy

Loc.
Allen, Tx
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with this issue. It took an electric fuel pump carb spacer, timing, electric pusher fan, and a good shroud to keep it cool. I drove it 45 miles today some at 60 mph and some stop and go, alon with sitting at red lights. It did awesome stayed under 165 the entire time. thanks again

Pdaddy

markperry

Bronco Guru
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with this issue. It took an electric fuel pump carb spacer, timing, electric pusher fan, and a good shroud to keep it cool. I drove it 45 miles today some at 60 mph and some stop and go, alon with sitting at red lights. It did awesome stayed under 165 the entire time. thanks again

Pdaddy

Great job! Glad you got it going:cool: :cool: :cool: I would reemphasize the fact that the carb spacer,and pusher fan probably not necessary but can't hurt;D

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Ditch the duraspark system and get a single wire HEI unit(coil mounted on the top of the dizzy cap) run the wire to a 12 volt hot in run and start, and be done with it. I ran a procomp Hei after having several issues with mine dying just like you describe. I ran my hot wire to the yellow wire coming off the voltage regulator. Not the best place to tie it into, but it was supposed to be a "temporary measure" that lasted more than 2 years before I installed EFI

bludorbronc

another thing is type of fuel, dont run gasahol, it has a lot less vaporizing point than normal gas so it vapors easily.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Ditch the duraspark system and get a single wire HEI unit(coil mounted on the top of the dizzy cap) run the wire to a 12 volt hot in run and start, and be done with it. I ran a procomp Hei after having several issues with mine dying just like you describe. I ran my hot wire to the yellow wire coming off the voltage regulator. Not the best place to tie it into, but it was supposed to be a "temporary measure" that lasted more than 2 years before I installed EFI

I love my HEI on my 67 Mustang with a 392 stroker. I also have one on my 351 in my Bronco!

I would not recommend using ProComp though! I went through two of them and neither would work....I found one on ebay for 49.00 and it fired right up;D