• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cooling

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I am torn between the 95 351 w/ SEFI in an older project, or just using a motor out of a late model Explorer. The 302 based engines are great because they allow plenty of room around the engine and typically run very cool even here in AZ. A few years back I ran the 351 in my 72 and while it was great it never ran very cool, and in fact ran pretty hot at times. I thought it did run a little leaner than it should but thats here nor there.

My main question is what radiator have you have successful cooled a 351 with. The other radiator was just about the same size as the stock EB and was a circle track unit that fabbed up some custom mounts for. I did run a mechanical fan with no shroud which I know might have caused some problems. I don't recall exactly when I ran hot but I dont really remember it boiling over all that much. At this point I am leaning toward a 3 or 4 core aluminum Championese ;D unit with a shroud.

I am just wanting to put this relatively hot E-303 cammed engine back in a bronco but messing with heating issues isn't what I want to deal with.

Thanks for the help and reading my ramblings.
Matt

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'm running a stockish 351 here in Phoenix, and have no problems with it overheating. I'm using a stock radiator that I had recored 14 years ago with a 4 tube core. Up until I had the motor rebuilt this past year, the complete cooling system, with the exception of the radiator recore, was stock. Stock shroud, fan, waterpump, pullies, etc. This past year, after the engine rebuild, I installed a Flowcooler waterpump, but only because I wanted to install a new waterpump after the rebuild, and WH had them on sale.

I've been out wheeling this past summer in 110-115 heat, and the hottest the engine's got was about 205°.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
knock on wood, my stock reman 351w has been running about 200 since I fired it up. Stock radiator, 195* t-stat, explorer serp and fan, no shroud. Maybe I've gotten lucky.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had cooling problems for years with my 351. I had a brand new 4 core radiator and it never did work well. I just went with the cheapest, smallest aluminum unit Summit Racing had and a shroud from Tom's and I have never had a problem since. I ran this for 5 days staraight this summer in Canyonlands too and it never creeped over 210* the whole time.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
knock on wood, my stock reman 351w has been running about 200 since I fired it up. Stock radiator, 195* t-stat, explorer serp and fan, no shroud. Maybe I've gotten lucky.

You did get lucky;D That and it hasn't been hot sense you got the 351 put in.

Just messin with ya Pal, I hope you don't have the same cooling issues I've had.;)

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I receintly made the switch to the Explorer 4.0 aluminum radiator to replace my stockish 4 core cooper/brass radiator. It works nearly as well (but not quite) as the stockish one did. The differnce is minimal enought that I will probably continue to run the Explorer radiator.

The only time is get a heating issue is climbing long very steep mountain roads, but it did this with both radiators.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I run my stock radiator and fan, 195 stat and Tom's shroud on a fairly stock motor and it seems to run right at 195 all the time.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
cooling

The ONLY time I've had cooling issues with my 351W is when I've run a "circle track radiator" designed by Ron Davis. Air can't flow thru the tight fin configuration at idle. Cools great at 1500 rpm or more. Too many fins per inch for air flow at idle. Now a 2400cfm electric might take care of it...

Previously with the SAME engine I ran a Duff 4 core for 20 years...no cooling issues. Moab, Rubicon, local where 100F days are common.

OP
OP
u10072

u10072

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input at this point...

Here lies my question-- I am leaning toward one of the Championese radiators (due strickly to cost and it seems like there are plenty without problems) but only if the thing will cool the engine. So anyone have a 351 and a Champion 3 core radiator and have no cooling issues --with a shroud and mechanical fan? I love the look of the aluminum and the cost but not if the thing makes the engine run hot.

Is there a case to be made that an aluminum 3 or 4 core radiator is just too much at slower speeds while on the street or a trail? I mean the NASCAR boys run aluminum radiators that are really thick but they are never idling and are doing 125 on a slow track.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I have the champion 2 core rad. with a 427w, stock non flex type fan, smaller diamater waterpump pulley, edelbrock waterpump, and mounted my aux trans cooler with electric fan on fenderwell. Olny starts to creep up past 200 on long rocky tech. uphills. without any one of the combo will overheat fast.