• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 drop IN

cvbfireman

welp guys i am finally to the point where my baby might be getting back on the road next week.. it has been down for way way to long.....

i figured i would post on here before the whole process starts to get some pointers.... if any... it took all of about an hour to drop the 302 and i figure maybe a little bit longer to get the 351 back in but upon starting is there anything i should do to the engine as far as lubrication timing....whatever i have never dropped a new engine before. Or is it pretty much just wiring add oil and fire her up?

oh and is there a break in procedure should i wait a while before i start trying to pop wheelies?

thanks

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Um yeah, no wheelies right away, break that puppy in first, LOL

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Prime the oiling system with a hand drill, before start up. If it's a flat tappet cam keep it above 2000 rpm for 15 minutes, on first start. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

cool thanks guys... really starting to get excited about this the weather is starting to warm up this week and im tired of looking at the top on that thing..

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
It's not quite an easy "drop in" --- There will be some space constraints. Do a little research so you're not overwhelmed....:cool:

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

o really... i know its a little bit wider correct??? also my uncles broncos both had the hoods cut anything else?

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
If its a flat tapet cam and this a new rebuild, Car Craft this month had a article on break-in oils. One point that made sence was Joe Gibbs oil has high zinc and low detergent,unlike other brands which were high zinc and high detergent the thinking was the detergent was washing off the zinc and the chance of failure was higher. If nothing eles zinc addives through the first few oil changes then delo or other diesal oil.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
o really... i know its a little bit wider correct??? also my uncles broncos both had the hoods cut anything else?

Also taller-- figure an inch and a half each way. Install the engine w/o mounts, bolt them on after engine/trans is bolted together- then lift engine back up, slide them in. Exhaust will have to be modified at least on the drivers side- clutch linkage interference.
Then if you have that wiring harness coming thru the firewall by the driver side valve cover, move it before you install engine ---I did mine afterwards (hindsight is 20-20)
And yeah hood clearance.. But, my brother-in-law had one in his 20 some years ago, and I don't remember the hood cut- don't know what he had for an air cleaner tho...

Some pictures.....

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

And on the final note: anyone that tells you "It's the same size as a 302 and will go right in there" is full of S#*t!!!! :cool:

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
take your time it goes right in you do need to put it in with out engine mount on and slide them in after the fact.MAKE SHORE YOU PICK UP SOME CAM BREAK IN LUBE ADDITIVE OR YOU WILL BE PUTTING IN ANOTHER CAM AND LIFTERS.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

cool guys thanks for the input.... i know its a different than a 302 but my uncles broncos have 351s and i would never hear the end of it if i didnt put a 351 in... plus i blew the 302 and my buddy had a new 351 bored balanced and stroked that just needed to be assembled with everything top notch. arp studs.. all the cool shit... he bought it for a 66 mustang i sold him a while back with a straight 6... then he started to think that he would twist the sub frame if he put that in..... so right after i got the bronco he called me and said ill trade you for that 302... i was at his house that afternoon picking it up

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you don't buy a break in oil with zinc you need to buy the additive. The zinc was taken out of most of the motor oils. Without it the cam goes bad. I think they recomended it for the first two oil changes