• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 EFI and ZF; header and coating question

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. So rebuilt 351 roller and cleaned up ZF are installed (3.5" SL and planned 1"BL) in the chassis. While I'm trying to clean up some of the body sheet metal, I'm also thinking on headers. I've google searched and not going to re-ask what's already been answered. What I am interested in is comments on header coatings and which length plays nicely with exploder efi.

Coatings: are the bare and coated headers the vendors sell the same? Assume so. Ifn this is the case, are the coatings robust, or is it better to get uncoated and send to jet hot or such for a better coating. Is such really better and more robust?

Playing well with efi: no clutch linkage interference to worry about with the ZF. Is there any real performance difference between shorty and full length? How critical is bung location other than after collector and no body interference?

Any other thoughts or product recommendations are welcomed. Thx

Hank

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I run WH shorties with my own custom built exhaust. The shorties have been on for 2 years and the ceramic coating looks brand new. Personally I wouldn't buy uncoated headers on principle. If your going to spend the money, just do it once...

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
X2 on the coating. Using BCB shorty headers and also look new after 2 1/2 years. Will be finding out about ZF install with them shortly.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I have the BC Broncos headers and have about 3500 miles and the coating still looks great. I have the same set up as you: roller 351, ZF, 3 1/2" JBG lift and 1' Wild horses body lift. I also installed their 2 into 1 exhaust and it all fit well.

photobucket-2374-1324164054424.jpg

Hank

pa69broncoguy

Exhaust setup

I used full length hooker headers uncoated and i had to cut and reweld so they would clear the frame. If you do go long tube i would at least wrap them with header wrap cause they will cook your feet. The ceramic coated would help with the heat too. I dont think that the efi would care what headers you use as long as the bung is in the collector area.

With all i have seen, if I had to do over i would save up and spend the extra and try the BCB shorty ceramic coated ones. I think the hp difference between long tube and short would be minimal, and after all its not a race car.

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
i might be willing to make you a deal on the new ceramics with bungs already. i think i am going to use the duffs i have after paint and wrap.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Diff venders sell diff. headers, they are not the same. The wrap tends to cause rust the coating is pricy. Mine fit with the ZF I don't know about the others. I don't know how much HP gain would be gotten from long headers, my mid length gained 27 hp on the test 351. We recommend the O2 sensor bung be within 2 inches of the header to get a good hot sample.
Howdy. So rebuilt 351 roller and cleaned up ZF are installed (3.5" SL and planned 1"BL) in the chassis. While I'm trying to clean up some of the body sheet metal, I'm also thinking on headers. I've google searched and not going to re-ask what's already been answered. What I am interested in is comments on header coatings and which length plays nicely with exploder efi.

Coatings: are the bare and coated headers the vendors sell the same? Assume so. Ifn this is the case, are the coatings robust, or is it better to get uncoated and send to jet hot or such for a better coating. Is such really better and more robust?

Playing well with efi: no clutch linkage interference to worry about with the ZF. Is there any real performance difference between shorty and full length? How critical is bung location other than after collector and no body interference?

Any other thoughts or product recommendations are welcomed. Thx

Hank