• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 EFI question

Highlander

Loc.
Chelan, WA
I am planning to install a 351w EFI out of a 1989 Bronco into my 1969. I have two questions at this point. Should I keep the SD injection or switch to the MAF type and will an upper intake off of a 1990 Lincoln 302 work with my lowwer unit? Maybe with the adapter form BCBronco?

OK one more question, How about the EGR stuff with headers? Do I just bypass EGR, that is my plan unless told other wise.

Tim

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
Ditch the SD system and go to a mass air system. You have lots of options with regard to the intake, but the simplest is to use a truck EFI lower with a passenger car upper using the BCB adapter. With EGR you can go either way. Your engine should run fine with or without it so its a personal choice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Go mass air.
Intake of your liking
Headers do not mean you need to ditch the EGR. I don't know what the major aversion to modern EGR is? It's not like the crud POS from those early systems from the 70's.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
All the EFI 5.8L truck engines got their EGR gas from the header, no internal plumbing. Same thing with the Explorer GT40P 5.0L engines. Without the stock headers you can't use the EGR system.
351truck_egr.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I forgot that bastard POS. Yea, go ahead and loose that external EGR.

Not sure, but I think the mustang style intake conversion will let you run mustang style (internial) EGR.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
The mustang intake has an internal EGR, however that will only work on a 302. The 351W EFI truck lower intake does not have the internal port for an EGR, so even if you match it to a mustang upper the EGR would still have to be routed externally. In this case Ryan is correct that it would be best to go without one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Thank you for filling me in on that. While we are on the 351 EGR intake puzzle, how does the lightening EGR work? is that internal or external?

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
1992-95 Lightning uses a GT40 intake with internal EGR.
All 1996-down GT40 intakes are internal
All 1997-01 GT40P Explorer intakes are external

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1992-95 Lightning uses a GT40 intake with internal EGR.
All 1996-down GT40 intakes are internal
All 1997-01 GT40P Explorer intakes are external

Thanks for the details. That was what I was looking for.

OP
OP
H

Highlander

Loc.
Chelan, WA
OK consider the SD ditched. So is the Mustang computer the only one to use or should I say is that the only car that uses the computer I need? It seems as though I seen a list once that listed what computers came in what cars but now of course I can't find it.

No Mustangs at the local wrecking yard but they do have a couple Lincolns. They did not know computers were in them but that I could come down and look around.

Tim

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
It is hard to find mustang computers at wrecking yards, though they are plentiful on ebay. The most you should pay is around $100, though you can sometimes find them for a little less if you shop around. You can go to www.fordfuelinjection.com for a list of all the compatible computers, but among the most common are A9M, A9P, C3W, C3W1, A9S, A9L, etc. Some are made for manual transmission and some for auto so try and get one that matches your configuration.

You can use other computers but the '89-'93 mustang computers are the best understood and all the aftermarket EFI wiring harnesses are designed to use them. Just be aware that you have to match the wiring harness to the computer, so a t-bird or lincoln harness is not designed to work with a mustang computer.

Based on Ryan's last post it appears that you can have an internal EGR if you get a Lightning lower matched to a '96 or earlier GT-40 upper. Those Lighting lowers are nice but hard to find and expensive too. But on the plus side a GT-40 will flow better and get you a little more horsepower. It all comes down to what you want to spend and what combination of parts that will best meet your needs. But that's the beauty, you can mix-and-match a wide combination of different parts to suit your application.