• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 owners- timing pointer help please!

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
Update- do I need to move my timing pointer to the driver's side to time a 351w? My pointer is made to mount on the passenger side.

Just a quick picture request- I need a picture of the timing tab that bolts to a water pump of a 302 / 351. I have the tab, but the way it appears to bolt up does not look right. I don't want to time it with the tab in the wrong place... Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
anyone? how about this- does it mount on the driver's side of the water pump near the bottom? Does a wide part of the tab stick up with no apparent purpose?

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
The wide part with the point on the end of it is the timing pointer. That is what you line your timing marks with. Ill go out and try to get into mine and get you a pic.

OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
yeah that is what I thought, but it does not seem to line up right. A pic would be helpful. I wonder if the 351 water pump (with a right side discharge) uses a different tab than the 302 pump with a passenger side discharge?

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Here you go i dont think it is a very good pic. The way i had to get in to do it i didnt have any room to back it up away from it. It might help a little. I dont know about the waterpump i cant help you with a 351.

Attachments

• timing pointer.jpg
    timing pointer.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
huh. well I appreciate the pic but mine looks nothing like that. Anyone got a 351w? follow up question- does it matter where the mark is? I can attach mine but it does not seem to be in a place where Ford would have put it. The mark needs to be at the perfect top of the crank right?

THANKS for the pic though!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you have a 351W then the pointer should be on the pass side. you can put it on the drivers side if you use the bronco balancer other wise stick with the balancer that came with the 351 and put the pointer on the pass side. The timing covers for 302/351's are the same and should have provisions althought they may not be drilled and tapped to put the pointer on either side.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I tried to zoom in as best I could on the engine we put in my daughters rig. Hope it helps?????

Attachments

• timingmarker.jpg
    timingmarker.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 58

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
YellowBronc said:
I tried to zoom in as best I could on the engine we put in my daughters rig. Hope it helps?????
That is the same as mine. I dont know what the different ones look like.

OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
actually yes- that is helpful. So I need to mount the pointer on the passenger side, but it looks pretty close to the lower radiator hose- from experience will it fit? I fear that I may need to take the hose off (again) Thanks guys- a quick and helpful response as always!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure as I've never tried it but I dont think you can see the timing marks on the pass side pointer with pass side water pump inlet. thats why the bronco and some of the early mustangs with pass side water pumps had the pointer on the drivers side..
You may want to get a drivers side pointer then remark your balancer to match so you can time it.

OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I wonder if this is a common thing to do- I have never heard of it when speaking of all of the mods required for a 351w? Any 351w owners with input?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
I'm not sure as I've never tried it but I dont think you can see the timing marks on the pass side pointer with pass side water pump inlet. thats why the bronco and some of the early mustangs with pass side water pumps had the pointer on the drivers side..
You may want to get a drivers side pointer then remark your balancer to match so you can time it.

This is correct. The timing pointer on the passenger side will interfere with a passenger side water pump inlet. If you do get it on there you will have a tough time seeing it to to use a light.

Every cover I have seen has the mounting points on the drivers side, you will be a lot happier if you move it to the drivers side.

OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
Just to update you all since I know you have been on the edge of your seats- I was able to get the passenger side timing pointer in by making the upper hole a slot and grinding off a small amount of material near the lower hole. I was able to see the balancer through a small gap well enough to time it, but I have an Edelbrock water pump so I am not sure if one would be able to duplicate this with a stock pump. Thanks again to all of you for your help! :D

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
After all your work, you might want to check your TDC by going to TDC on the #1 plug and looking to see that "0" TDC on the timing ring lines up with the pointer. This ofcourse with the engine off.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I used the timming cover from the 289 that was in it put it on the 351W also used the 289 typ water pump all is well. Good luck and have fun. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

classic4x4s

Loc.
Zachary, LA
I know this is kinda late, but I have a 351W and EB balancer. I used the pointer that came on the 351W since it is a driver's side pointer. Once I found TDC I marked the balancer with a silver sharpie and use an adjustable timming light to set it. If for some reason you still need a pic let me know.