• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another 351 swap radiator question

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
So again need expert advice. Due to surgeries I’ve been out of the shop but rebuilt and good to go. Got my built 351 SERP (not Explorer) with C4 installed in stock 66 body with 2” body lift. On my last 351 SERP install I modified the radiator supports to move radiator forward for SERP clearance. Before doing this I wanted to ask if any new radiator options that might fit stock supports. Proform Slim fit model gives me SERP clearance, but pricey and too wide. Pics show my stock radiator support sizes. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1310.jpeg
    IMG_1310.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 49

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You have the wrong dipstick. That dipstick is for s front sump oil pan.

Finding a radiator is going to be a challenge. That is also why the (very good) question of what fan are you planning on using comes into play. Electric cooling fans with enough power to keep a Bronco cool are generally pretty large. And that will eat further into the radiator packaging. It looks like you have to run electric as the fancy stuff doesn't have any provisions for a mechanical fan.

It looks like the paint and body are already done as well. Which would make fitting anything besides stock replacement a painful ordeal.

You have built yourself into a pickle. That accessory drive sure looks fancy. Paint looks really good as well. Which one are you going to give up on? I don't see a solution that lets you keep both.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
When you say stock radiator brackets are we talking stock 6 cylinder radiator location and hardware or are you set up for a v-8 radiator? There are options to fit the stock v-8 location and brackets. Even the stock 302 radiator is wider and needs longer lower L-brackets welded on to replace the 6cyl radiator

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
what fan do you plan? You are finding why so many go explorer option.
I really don’t understand why anyone would use anything other than the exploder serp setup in a bronco.
Reason no Explorer option is this engine built by local race shop for guy who didnt pay-in in full and great price. I have non polished Explorer parts and can go that route if no radiator.

You have the wrong dipstick. That dipstick is for s front sump oil pan.

Finding a radiator is going to be a challenge. That is also why the (very good) question of what fan are you planning on using comes into play. Electric cooling fans with enough power to keep a Bronco cool are generally pretty large. And that will eat further into the radiator packaging. It looks like you have to run electric as the fancy stuff doesn't have any provisions for a mechanical fan.

It looks like the paint and body are already done as well. Which would make fitting anything besides stock replacement a painful ordeal.

You have built yourself into a pickle. That accessory drive sure looks fancy. Paint looks really good as well. Which one are you going to give up on? I don't see a solution that lets you keep both.
I seem to always build myself into a “pickle” ! I have found electric fan radiators at 4” depth but must cut side core supports for width. Not major other than the paint and hassle, as u noted. Choose ur poison at this stage.
When you say stock radiator brackets are we talking stock 6 cylinder radiator location and hardware or are you set up for a v-8 radiator? There are options to fit the stock v-8 location and brackets. Even the stock 302 radiator is wider and needs longer lower L-brackets welded on to replace the 6cyl radiator
It is a stock 6cylinder body I bought as parts truck. Turned out to be ‘66 U 13 that I didn’t have and hated to chop. So started project that was constantly interrupted by Life issues, and was not properly planned by me. So at this point, I’ll take my medicine and make something work. Thanks for the great comments and suggest.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd sell the fancy serp, get the explorer stuff, figure out how to get the v8 brackets in, go from there.

I think I looked at that exact fancy serp setup, but found it wouldn't fit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or, you could always stick with a six cylinder radiator, stick with a six cylinder engine, of some upgraded type, and put the fancy hi-po V8 into another build.
Kind of gives you the best of both worlds, other than money and time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'd sell the fancy serp, get the explorer stuff, figure out how to get the v8 brackets in, go from there.

I think I looked at that exact fancy serp setup, but found it wouldn't fit.
That is what I would lean toward as well. The Explorer would gain you enough space that the radiator could actually move toward the engine a little bit for betting radiator options.

As for the 4" radiator fan combos you are looking at, what fan is that? There are a lot of fans that have a high CFM rating on them but lack the power to actually move that air through a radiator core. In the 20+ years of working with OEMs and electric fans, the choice is always based on wattage of the fan. Not an airflow number. Broncos are known to be hard to keep cool. That is where the Explorer fan works so good. Keep an overstuffed engine compartment with a small radiator cool all while cranking the A/C to keep the soccer moms happy.