• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Roller Cam Comments

70_Steve

Old Guy
Time to pick a cam for a 351 roller motor. It will be pretty stock with about 9.3-1 compression and stock E7TE heads. Ford EFI with GT40/Explorer and 19 lb injectors. I'm loking for a compromise between low end torque and some decent power for the dunes, but heavy on the low end!!!

Been looking at this one from Comp Cams. 35-308-8.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Comp Cams 35-308-8.JPG
    Comp Cams 35-308-8.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 70

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
The 114 LSA will help the idle and streetability. Mild on the duration and mild on the lift. Should be well mannered for sure.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I will be watching this one Steve. When I rebuild my 351 I used the stock cam and GT 40 heads. Plenty of power on the sand dunes when I was there this past summer. It will be interesting to see what you end up going with and how it performs. Good luck.

Henry

reynard101

Bronco Guru
I think the Magnum line is good stuff, especially for EFI. My engine builder recommended a the 35-302-8 (almost the same as your cam) for my 408W build.

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
I think the Magnum line is good stuff, especially for EFI. My engine builder recommended a the 35-302-8 (almost the same as your cam) for my 408W build.
How's that cam running for you? More specifically, how's the low RPM torque? I realize that a lot of that torque will come from just being a 408, but that cam looks like it wouldn't start coming alive until about 1500. But that's in a 5.0...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got a 35-518-8 in my 357 with 185cc heads - but that is a little extreme. I'm super curious as well because my 351W in the blue Bronco is a stock 351W with GT40's with a van cam - its far more powerful than any other engine I've run in the Bronco, but one always wonders if there is more without giving up too much.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
the stock cam aint too bad actually. If you throw some 1.7 lifters at it it almost gets to a half inch of lift and a quit streetable offroad duration. I am running a 206 @ 0.050" and .533" of lift in my 393.

It tops out at 5000 but gets there in a big hurry and is fun as hell to drive. I never run over 5000 RPM in a bronco anyway.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got any info on what it takes to put the 1.7 rockers on it? I'm liking that idea! Pushrod length change?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Cam you chose should actually match pretty well with the other components already purchased. The 114' LSA is the important part. Pretty good pick.

Get the Comp Cam K-kit with the Cam which has all the Matching valve train and you won't have to look for other parts or guess what works with what.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
How's that cam running for you? More specifically, how's the low RPM torque? I realize that a lot of that torque will come from just being a 408, but that cam looks like it wouldn't start coming alive until about 1500. But that's in a 5.0...

Not sure yet. I've started the engine but I haven't driven it. Bronco isn't put back together - body is off still. I'm trying finish enough up to have it driving by the Stampede (I shouldn't even be typing that). I also went with a carburetor (Quadrajet) for now. EFI stuff was adding up too fast.

AZ69EB

Steve,

Hurry up and get it together. I also have a 351w roller with gt40 heads on an engine stand. Waiting until after the Stampede to put it in. I will be watching your thread.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You should be fine with that cam Steve. I think you could even go a little larger and be even happier on the dunes and no real loss on the low end. That 351 is already going to have bottom end and a little loss wont hurt thats what transmissions are for. That 308 cam mentioned may be a little bigger than you want. There 270HR cam would probably work out a little better maybe even there 276HR.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Got any info on what it takes to put the 1.7 rockers on it? I'm liking that idea! Pushrod length change?

You just put them on thats it more or less. You still need to check lifter preload and may need to shim the rocker arms.
Im not up on all the latest but from what I remember the ford lifters tended to collaspe easier with 1.7 rockers. Might not be a issue when the RPM's are kept lower. But over all your mainly increasing the amount of lift and typically will only see gains higher in the RPM's which may be ok if your cam is to small to start with. but overall for the money a new cam may be a better choice.
Some people even claim there is next to no gain when going to 1.7 rockers it all depends on what cam you have and the rest of your setup. But still your really only seeing gains at high RPM the 1.7's are for the guys looking for that last bit of power at the track.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - I really should have put a different cam in it, but whatever. I can always do it later-

asmith140

Contributor
Steve, I'm running that 308 cam with 170 trickflow heads and about 9.5 compression, 19 lb injectors, pulls like a freight train to 5k. 35's. & 4.11's. You'll like it. Be sure and ck piston to valve clearance and needs up graded springs

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
Steve, I'm running that 308 cam with 170 trickflow heads and about 9.5 compression, 19 lb injectors, pulls like a freight train to 5k. 35's. & 4.11's. You'll like it. Be sure and ck piston to valve clearance and needs up graded springs
Good to hear from someone actually running that cam. How's the low end torque? At what RPM does it start pulling? Ever had it dyno'ed?

Those 170 Trick Flow heads are the 2.020/1.600 valves?

asmith140

Contributor
Good low end. Way better than my old engine with the similar flat tappet cam, hits hard at about 2500 & up with my c/4 just jump on it and it starts to break traction. Yup. 2.02 &1.6 all the motor I need for crawling and dune running. But I'm getting along in years and not as crazy so I don't need the big stroker